Sunday 27 August 2023

Two Fur Coats in Bantry House... and a Colourful Bathroom.

As I promised, here's some more from my trip to West Cork in Ireland.  One of my favourite trips was to Bantry House. I'd wanted to see it for years, after K visited it and highly recommended it as "a bit crazy".  So T and I drove out there one rather drizzly day.  

Here's the house, distantly viewed against the Bantry bay's foggy backdrop.  Can you make out the hills on the other side?   


 Bantry House looks very like an English country house, built in English style by the Earls of Bantry, who were English earls. But of course it is not English.    When Ireland became a republic in 1922, many of the English gentry's mansions had had a pretty rough time.  But more of that later.   

And here's a more formal view, backed by the tall cupolas of the house's two sets of stables in the background on either side. To have a set of huge matching stables gives an idea of just how much money was flying around in this place in the nineteenth century. 

In those days, Bantry House was known for its contents - the Second Earl's astounding collection of fine art and antiques.  In its heyday, too, there were 24 gardeners, making sure that the gardens and grounds surrounding the house were worthy of the stupendous contents.    

But the title was extinguished in 1899 when the last Earl died without a son and heir, and the twentieth century brought a very different world. Independence was on the horizon for Ireland, after many centuries of occupation.  It was finally achieved in 1922, and before that, in a spiral of upheaval, the British gentry's houses were quite often burned down by Irish republicans who didn't see why they were needed by anyone at all. 

Even after 1922,  and even with the houses that survived, there were problems.  The Great War of 1914-18 changed society radically.  After it ended, servants became harder to find, big landowners were hit by savage taxes, and everyone involved with grand mansions began to realise the palmy days were coming to an end.   Many big houses, both in England and Ireland, were abandoned or demolished for purely financial reasons.. 

Bantry House, though, struggled through all this.  This was probably largely thanks to a woman called Arethusa Leigh-White (below) who married the house's owner, Edward.


She was a public spirited and compassionate woman, who when chaos gripped Ireland, offered to put Bantry House at the disposal of the local Sisters of Mercy nuns to use as a hospital for the local poor and wounded, including all those who had fought in the independence battles, no matter what their political views or circumstances.    As philanthropists, she and her husband were also more popular with the local people than many an English landowner.  The picture above, the only image of Arethusa I could find online, is captioned with information about her dedication to the Girl Guides/Girl Scouts movement and its work for internationalism and cooperation. 

Bantry's fate might have been different if Arethusa's husband had not died relatively young.  The biggest disaster in Bantry's existence, though, occurred after he died and his eldest daughter inherited the estate. 


  Clodagh Leigh-White, (above) was only a teenager when she inherited, so was only able to take control of the house when she reached the age of 21, in 1926.    She seems to have been a pleasant lady, but not the brightest diamond in the diadem.  She began selling off the house's contents to keep going, and also opened it to the public in 1946, but seemed to have no real idea of what to do apart from keep selling things.   Unfortunately, it apparently never occurred to her to learn about the treasures she was selling, let alone get an idea of what they were worth.   

 The catastrophe came in 1956, when she sold a priceless set of Renaissance paintings by F & G Guardi for £300 to a sweet talking sharpster from Dublin.  The value of this intact set of eight huge paintings, even in those days, was gigantic, and today it would be truly inestimable, running into tens of millions of pounds.  What a difference even a fraction of that money would make to the house now. 

  From all accounts, Clodagh did not fully realise what she'd done. She was apparently pretty pleased with herself for making the sale, and went on a cruise, or so I was told by one of the guides working at the house. Towards the end of her life, she was reduced to living in the vast library (part of which is shown below) wearing two fur coats to keep warm.        

 The library is a gigantic room, and the rooms above had to be rebuilt so its ceiling could be as toweringly high as the earl required to suit his  megalomaniac tastes.  This set of doors used to lead into a magnificent glass conservatory, now vanished, and it now offers an unimpeded view of 100 steps cut into the hill. Only the earl,  his family and their guests were allowed to use it (and they would have needed to be reasonably fit to do so) but the view from the top was really spectacular.  Here it is in the house's heyday, with the conservatory in place.  


  Now, Bantry House relies on part time or volunteer gardeners. Inevitably the grounds lack the formal perfection of old, but recent owners have harnessed several years of EU-funded restoration, and with dedicated volunteer helpers and clever economising they have maintained a charming and creative setting for the house.  


Arethusa's descendants still own Bantry House, and are still working hard to keep it going. They have tried various things.  You might like to watch the Channel 4 programme about Bantry in its "Country House Rescue" series in 2012 on Youtube   to see the kind of challenges they have faced.  The solutions put forward in the programme were not really practical, though, and by 2014 the Leigh-Whites had decided to sell the entire contents of the house, and were pleading for help.  It turned out that the auctioneers didn't have the right licence to sell the items, and somehow (I never found out quite how) the sale was avoided and the house has been keeping going partly as a wedding and event venue, and partly on other schemes which capitalise on its setting.  Money is still tight, though, and some areas of the house are still not open to the public because they are too dilapidated.

What I liked about the place, apart from its seat-of-the-pants recent history, was the welcoming and  - yes - happy atmosphere.  One of the family members now helps out doing the gardening and running the tearoom in part of the old kitchen. The food is simple, but very good, and I liked the notice warning customers about the family dogs which may appear hoping for food.  




The people who work there obviously love the place, and there are personal and humorous touches everywhere.  I loved the picture-within-a-picture below: a lovely little painting of a chair stands on the chair itself.  


 I didn't research the family emblems, but there's a stork-like bird with a coronet which was presumably associated with the earldom.  Here's a stone version, coronet around its neck, guarding the front door. 


Similar birds appear on ornaments, or holding candlesticks. 
 
 
 They feature, too, on amusing direction signposts in the garden.  Here is one about to partake of a cup of tea... 


these two are respectively using a wheelchair or else need baby changing facilities.
 

And what is the house like inside? Well, even after decades of selling off the contents, there is no shortage of interesting and beautiful things to see.  Here are a few photos at random, starting with part of the atmospheric front hallway with a dramatic Russian Orthodox shrine in the background.


A most beautiful dolls house full of furniture stands in one of the bedrooms. 


And there is a remarkable dining room, the biggest I have ever seen outside a hotel.  Its splendid and elaborately carved sideboards stretch across three walls.  There are lovely tapestries, beautiful china and imposing oil paintings. 


One wing of the house, is now given over to the family's bed and breakfast business, and that's something I would like to try.   No rooms were available during my visit, but when I return to Ireland I hope to stay there if I can.  What sold the idea to me is that apparently, after hours, when night falls, the guests are allowed to open a secret door into the library and creep in to light the fire ....  


....and play music... 


..... read some of the interesting books, lounge on a sofa with a drink, admire the details of the architecture


 and generally make themselves at home while the trees blow in the darkness outside. 

Of course all old mansions worth their salt have a ghost, and Bantry's ghost seems to float vaguely around upstairs without anyone being too sure of who it is supposed to be.  I'm sort of glad it's not the  the shade of poor Clodagh in her two fur coats.    I'm also glad that the house's air of life and character makes it feel as if it will survive.   1922 is long enough ago now, and Ireland is now doing better than Britain in many ways.  I think it can afford to see places like this as part of its own history, and not merely as symbols of oppression.

Coming back to today, in my last post, I said I'd show some photos of the multi coloured washrooms in the airport hotel at Cork.  We stayed there the night before flying back to London, and I only wanted to wash my hands before going into the bar that evening but when I walked into the washroom I was  thunderstruck - all those huge square sinks standing in a circle, each with an oval mirror above and all bathed in bright pink and purple colour.  I loved it. It was like a nightclub. 


I was busy examining the basins and wondering what they were made of - they seemed to glow. And then suddenly I realised that something about the room had changed. 


and before I realised it, everything was bright green. 


I started taking a bit more notice of the hotel. At first glance it had  looked fairly bland in an upmarket way, but thx  I found it wasn't bland. The breakfast was amazing, and a little quirky, and if the bar food is as good as the breakfast that'll maybe help explain why local people seem to drive out from city to spend the evening there, even if they're not flying anywhere. Some unusual coffee table books were to be found in the reception hall. They included sample books from trendy designers,  and were very interesting to look through.  I think I'll stay there again next time I go to Cork. 

41 comments:

  1. This certainly adds to my meager knowledge, which is that I'd heard of Bantry Bay.

    The history of this old house is certainly colorful, and I wonder how it escaped burning, unlike many other white elephants, I mean mansions. There are wonderful things there, and the humor alone would invite me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light hearted touches attracted me so much

      Delete
  2. What a splendid journey that was! the Hotel toilet is amazing, i may go to Cork one day just for that!. Such interesting history re: the house! Fancy losing those paintings for 300 quid!! Regrets- there are many! I am hoping to live long enough to go to Ireland and to follow where you lead.
    Linda Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very hard to get my head around how someone can be so .... well, maybe innocent, as Clodagh was.

      Delete
  3. She must have been a blond and a dumb one at that to sell all the goodies off. Nice place to visit and looks as though worth staying at as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt she was probably really uneducated for the task of running the estate. In those days it wasn't thought worthwhile to educate girls since they so rarely inherited - although heaven knows the parents should have realised.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad they managed to keep it in the family, despite the best the dumbo could do, and I too would like to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think keeping the house in the family must be incredibly important to them, considering the efforts they make to keep it going.

      Delete
  5. I will definitely watch the documentary. What an interesting place. After selling off so much it is surprising how much is still there!
    That is a wild bathroom. Probably the wildest I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Rita. Normally I think of bathrooms as kind of boring but that was quite impossible. LOL

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to visit Ireland ...
    Thank you for an interesting post and what a finish too! That bathroom is amazing.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. Looks as if you might have some problems logging on, as you're coming up as "Anonymous" as are a couple of other folks. I'll be sure to visit your blog because I know who you are!

      Delete
  7. That's certainly a fascinating history, if I could ever visit, I wouldn't mind staying there. The library would be my favorite, I can only imagine the books I'd probably not find anywhere else.

    The washroom is certainly not bland. If people drive in to eat there, it must be a good place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library was the kind of room I'd love to have, it really was. If practicality wasn't an issue. Cleaning it would take a week!

      Delete
  8. How sad that Clodagh was not able (or advised better) to take proper care of the place, but it has survived nonetheless. Of course you want to stay there!
    By the way, you may want to correct a typo in your post - the Great War has slipped into the wrong century 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing out the typo, Meike, and I have now corrected it!

      Delete
  9. Drizzle and mist on Ireland's west coast? What a surprise! Nice to see Arethusa attempting to humanise the place. I suppose it would be difficult to discover what the people living there thought of the master. I can understand your desire to return to the B&B. And dogs will be dogs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually looking out for the dogs, they seemed rather endearing. Unfortunately they were obviously not in the cafe that day!

      Delete
  10. What a great post, Jenny. Before commenting, I watched the episode of Country House Rescue, and felt really sorry for Sophie who had to put in an unrealistic amount of work to put on the Pop-up Restaurant. The profit did not seem sufficient for all the effort, which also involved calling in favours, which could not be repeated permanently. It is lovely to see they are still there in this absolutely fabulous house, with its gorgeous contents. What an amazing dining room! Tea rooms seem a more manageable option, and good to read other family members also help. The doll's house is adorable, and I really love the signature birds dotted about. I do hope the family continue with their beautiful house and are not forced to sell. Staying in the B&B should be a great experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia! I felt a bit sorry for Sophie too. I thought the pop up restaurant was a rather daft idea, but pop up things were very trendy in those days. And I suppose it might have been useful to have various ideas presented to them. It didn't stop them from almost having to sell off the contents 2 years later but they did seem to take up the suggestion of hosting concerts, etc. and the weddings are now a big thing, I understand. You can hire the whole house -imagine that! !!

      Delete
  11. Relatively Retiring28 August 2023 at 08:45

    Thank you for another amazing and enjoyable post, Jenny. What must living in Bantry House have been like before Clodagh was involved? It obviously is still full of charm, humour, and an abundance of eccentricity.
    Cork airport hotel washroom is impressive as well, but I think it could be very disconcerting after, or before a tricky flight. Does the Gents have the same style, or didn't T find out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post! If I had gone into that changing color restroom, my husband would have come looking for me, I would have stayed in there forever! The big library leading to the garden, the painting of the chair on the chair itself, the doll house...just a few things that really stand out for me. I would love to see this house! So interesting. I hope the family are able to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. And there was something compelling and hypnotic about the way the colours changed. If I lived in one of those dull rented flats where all the decor is white and grey I might invest in some of those coloured lights myself!

      Delete
  13. We were supposed to go to Ireland on our honeymoon but for some reason I can't remember we didn't. It was the second time a visit to Ireland by me hadn't happened. I've never tried again. It's good to see visits even if vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess that if you had wanted to go you would have managed to do it by now. But then where you live has many elements in common with Ireland... my memories of your part of the world do include beautiful seas and also wonderful shores.... I didn't post about the little beaches in West Cork but one reminded me very much of a beach I saw on a Scottish island, forget which one but the stones were all beautiful and of many different colours.

      Delete
  14. What a fascinating post, now I'm longing to visit Bantry House! The photo taken in it's heyday is quite something, and a wonderful setting. I wonder where such wealth came from? Places like this always benefit from a personal touch rather than being tidied up too much, as tends to be the case with some of our National Trust properties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the wealth came from being very supportive of someone in power, originally. I am a huge fan of the National Trust, but they are constrained by the fact they have such a huge duty to conserve everything they have. In Bantry, there was certainly a more laid back attitude

      Delete
  15. I can see why you want to stay there. I wonder if I can talk Rick into it next year. (Maybe we should all go together!) I would love that place. The guide sounds so well informed and I'm eager to watch the documentary. It's tragic, to think what was sold, or at least sold at ridiculous prices and I'm so glad that it somehow managed to survive. This history is fascinating. I just went to their website and they have a video tour, too so guess what I'm watching tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the video tour, and will take a little look. THere are some interesting interviews online here and there, particularly with the lady who must have been Clodagh's daughter in Law. She is a trained art conservator and quite a dynamic lady who made many improvements in the house.

      Delete
  16. Lovely post, thank you
    The visit to the old mansion sounds delightful.
    Sad so many old houses had to be destroyed though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it makes me extra grateful for the ones which survived.

      Delete
  17. Bantry House! How much it has seen and experienced with its owners. Some of them were smart and knowledgeable people, while others were stupid amateurs to sell even for a penny. It's great that you visited and thanks for the story and photos, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The history of this old mansion is so interesting. I’d love to visit it and like you would wish to stay there. Your post made it so alive that I thought I had visited it with you. Now, I’ll go and watch the documentary and their website. Lovely place, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad you liked it, Vagabonde, and thanks for your kind comment about my post. I hope you get there some day too.

      Delete
  19. I am not usually given to visits of this nature, Jenny, but I think I could get into this one. There is enough quirkiness to make it interesting, and of course there are the grounds to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might really have liked the grounds David. We happened to have some strong binoculars with us and there was all sorts of wildlife in the large overgrown grounds, not to mention the nearby sea shore.

      Delete
  20. What an interesting post. I enjoyed reading it.

    And if I was you, I wouldn't go wondering in the dead of night through secret doors into libraries. I've seen too many Inspector Piorot films!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, despite all the stuff that was sold off and despite financial woes, it looks like Bantry House is still mostly in good shape and well worth visiting. I love the dolls house and the dining room. As you say, Clodagh wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and selling off those priceless paintings for £300 is beyond clueless. The washrooms in the airport hotel are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, Jenny. I was so happy to hear from you on my July post, but it took a while as I was mostly away from my laptop during the summer. As you wrote in the comment, I liked summer, too. The summer in my childhood was manageable, but not these years! Heat with high humidity (higher than 80%) saps our energy and life-threatening if you don’t take care enough. I scrolled down to your older posts. Nice to know you enjoyed a trip to Ireland. I really like the ambience created by the grey skies and drizzle.
    Your Twins must have grown. I like myself when I’m with my grandchildren,. Though each of them has gotten busier with their private activities, we’ve enjoyed being together.
    Enjoy yourself and take care.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's too bad that our upcoming visit to Ireland will not allow us much free time (part of a tour group) as Bantry House would be on my list of places to visit and perhaps even stay in the B&B. Such a sad story about those priceless paintings being sold for next to nothing. It's good to read that family members have been able to keep it going.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive