Thursday 23 November 2023

La Villette Park, Paris - WHAAAAAT?

I saw this strange looking creature the day before I left Paris. It is a 17th century tenor cornett shaped like a serpent and with a dragon's head.  It is just one of thousands of exhibits in Paris's musical museum, which must surely be one of the best in the world... 


...yes, in the world.  But I had never heard of it before I went to Paris.  It was only when I idly decided to visit La Villette that I discovered that the city of Paris has been assembling a huge  musical centre called the Cité de la Musique in the park for about thirty years.   Not only the museum but the Paris Conservatoire music school, lots of venues for music in different genres, the huge Zénith de Paris auditorium and the striking, futuristic Philharmonie concert hall are together offering almost every type of music imaginable.    

 By any standards it is amazing, so you can imagine my surprise that not one single person I've ever discussed Paris with has ever mentioned it.  Maybe I'm not speaking to enough musical people - or enough Parisians, since La Villette park was thronged with people and they all seemed very happy.    


So, I'll tell you a bit, so at least you will know to go there if you're ever in Paris!  Above is the Philharmonie concert hall - extremely striking, though not, I'll admit, very beautiful, at least not to me. Alien, blocky and slightly reptilian are the words that spring to mind, because it is clad in steel scales and looks sort of organic.  The design of the scales is inspired by an interlocking pattern in the style of M.C.Escher which reflect the light in many different ways, and its odd shape offers hundreds of different photo opportunities depending on where you stand.  If you're interested in the revolutionary and super-adaptable construction of the Philharmonie, take a look at the builder's website.   The acoustics of the main hall are said to be among the world's finest. 

As for the musical museum, no description can do it justice.    I couldn't absorb it all, but I do remember certain things in particular, like this golden harpsichord with lid decorated in pastoral scenes,...


...and several of the musical curiosities,  like the dragon headed cornett in the first picture, and a  "Bible" organ, or regal, which stood rather incongruously with the 18th century instruments.   The regal was a sort of portable organ, popular from about 1500 onwards and probably a bit out of fashion by the time this one was made.  It has a distinctive buzzing sound and the bellows of the Bible regal, pumped by a helper, are thought to resemble a large family Bible.   I can't find a film of this instrument in action, but here's a clip of a self-pumping regal in case you're interested in hearing one.  


I also liked the museum's explanation about the origins of various types of music, and was fascinated by its display of French revolutionary songs, of which the most famous is of course the national anthem of France, the Marseillaise. 

What a song that is.  I've always thought it's different from other national anthems.  Passionate and blood-curdling, with a wonderful tune, it was written to stir emotion, and does it incredibly well. Watch this blurry clip of a fine performance by Mireille Mathieu. I'm not French but there are certain politicians I wouldn't like to be near with a pitchfork in my hand, and Mirielle's version of the Marseillaise in my ears... and I'm only half joking.    

It seems that the Marseillaise was controversial from the start. It was banned by the French authorities for quite a lot of the 19th century as being too inflammatory, and only became the national anthem in 1879, after the final Emperor of France had been kicked out and the terrible Siege of Paris had happened.  Today, it still stirs unease and controversy, particularly its references to "impure blood" which have been taken up by French racists. Despite all this,  I still greatly prefer the Marseillaise to our own national anthem.     Britain's "God Save the King" has a plodding, secondhand tune and is all about wishing good luck to your betters in the hope some benefit will rub off onto you. It does its job as a national anthem, of course, but I am glad that the other part of me is Irish, as I definitely prefer the Irish national anthem. Amhrán na bhFiann sounds pleasant, almost friendly,  even though it is about Ireland's hard won fight for freedom.   

National anthems carry such a weight on them, don't they?   What do you think about your national anthem?

Anyway, to get back to the park.....we spent a day and a half there, and as well as seeing the museum we looked around the other musical venues, an exhibition hall, and many shops, cafes and bars in a huge 19th century iron and glass structure which  was Paris's main abattoir back in the day.


The Paris canal runs through the park, and is packed with popular little electric pleasure boats which glide silently to and fro.   


As you see above, the weather was grey during much of our visit, but when evening fell, and the lights shone out, the park became more peaceful and relaxed - so long as you could dodge the bikes shooting along the cycle tracks.  


The atmosphere was noticeably multi racial, and very good humoured.   As we wandered around we saw local people gathering to play their own music and do their own dances in the pathways and on the grass -  a large group of Africans singing with drums and trumpets, then another group of drummers, of several different races. then some Indonesians practising their own elegant style to the sound of a boom box standing by their picnic cloth.   We explored a wood full of mirrors (a strange and fascinating place) found a carousel and little fairground, and had fun tracking down bits of a giant sculpture of a deconstructed bike.  A giant saddle here, a huge mudguard there, sticking out of the grass and surrounded by picnicking familes and couples lazing about.   

We also puzzled over some remarkable playgrounds for the children. Perhaps I should know what the one below is, but I didn't. The kids had been playing some kind of organised game on it, and you can just see the referee's chair in the middle. 


On one of the days, a group of stunt cars paid a visit, and drove around very slowly for no apparent reason except to draw crowds - very exciting! (Just in case you're wondering, the car shown below was stationary)


 We didn't see the equestrian centre or science museum, and learned that Géode, the IMAX cinema, was closed indefinitely.  But we did find allotments full of veggies and rare breed sheep grazing beneath the trees.  


And there were so many interesting little touches.  A display of expressive musical sculptures about how it feels to make music (They weren't easy to photograph, but I hope you can get the idea.)   




I looked up La Villette in some Paris tourist literature.   It was referred to as "off the beaten track."   If I had still been travel writing for a living, I'd be wondering why the park isn't promoted more, so it stops being "off the beaten track."    It's not that far out of the centre, and there's excellent public transport to its surrounding areas.  Admittedly, the neighbourhoods around it seem run down but felt safe enough with pleasant little local shops and cafes and a nice Sunday market intermingled with the fast food joints and scruffy barbers.  And there were signs that some parts were going up in the world, attracting artists and other creative people -  as well they should, with all that music around.  The street art was eye popping, and I was pleased to see several wall paintings celebrating the remarkable Josephine Baker, who lived in Paris for many years and I am sure would have loved the park in every way. 


And if these brick pillars interspersed with Lego aren't the work of creatives, I don't know what is.  


We've been back in London for ages now, but do plan to return to La Villette, to finish touring the music museum and,  I hope, attend a concert or two.   I won't stay in the same Airbnb that we used, which I am sorry to say was ghastly, but there are cheap chain hotels nearby which have everything you need.  

*Oh, and if you would like to hear what a cornett sounds like, please go here on Youtube. For the first 33 seconds of this clip, Alexander Kerschhofer plays the basic sound of a treble cornett.  After 33 seconds you start to hear how a cornett sounds when playing in a group, which it was intended to do.  I have always liked strange old musical instruments and really look forward to hearing and seeing some more before too long. 

34 comments:

  1. Hello Jenny, Paris has always been one of my hoped-for destinations, and the main attraction there has been the musical instrument museum, which has existed in several forms over the years, going back to the collection of the Conservatoire. Their keyboards are almost unexcelled, although the couple you showed looked a bit overly-restored to me. In recent years I have not kept up with the reputations of various museums and how they treat their instruments, although these days most take the cautionary approach. Paris in the 19th century was also a world center of quality and inventiveness in brass and wind instruments. Incidentally, Brussels also has an ultra-world-class musical instrument museum.
    .
    I also would like to see whatever exhibits are at the Bibliothèque nationale, whose contents are legendary. Your trip sounds like it was fascinating and a lot of fun. So much creativity at each turn.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim. The instruments were all beautifully restored, but I liked that - it meant none stood out because of their problems, as it were, and it also went with how they try to keep them in playing order if they can. I like the idea that instruments should be heard. Yes, the collection was originally at the Conservatoire but I never saw it there. What a huge idea it was to create the City of Music, really, wasn't it? I have not been to Brussels for a very long time, and not sure when I will go again, but if I do I will most definitely head for their musical museum - I do like capital cities just for this kind of reason! thank you for your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of the serpent instrument but never seen one with an actual head. That playground setup looks like skateboard ramp to me. What an interesting travel experience you brought us on this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I was baffled about the playground. I didn't see anyone with skateboards and somehow it didn't look that skateboardy, and was also weirdly hard to tell what was going on there. It seemed to be sort of "lanes" like in running. I was quite distant from it when the children were playing their organised game. The referee had the most deafening voice so I stayed away and didn't get a close look.

      Delete
  3. You gave me a reason to look up the lyrics to our national anthem in the US--and to my surprise I have never heard anything more than the first verse! Don't care much for the rest of it, to be honest. I had no idea the French anthem was quite so graphically gory! I felt more affinity for the fighting for freedom in the Irish anthem.

    I have never even heard of a regal but the sound seemed familiar. Same with the cornett. How odd.

    This all looked like such a treat for the ears and mind--seems odd they don't publicize it more. Thanks for bringing us along for a glimpse--and for all the links, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way it's the goriness and high emotion of the Marseillaise that I like, because it's so unusual and powerful. But for actually feeling comfortable and identifying with an anthe, Amhrán na bhFiann won hands down. I do have a sneaking love for boring old God Save the King too because it was always very much part of my life, although until recently of course it was God save the Queen which sounds much more cosy to me. .

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the little trip to this venue. Paris is a favorite vacation destination of my daughter, and I will recommend the musical instrument museum to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she enjoys it! There is such a lot of marvellous stuff in Paris.

      Delete
  5. Maybe it is not a bad thing that La Villette remains off the beaten track - from your description, it sounds like it wouldn't be nice with huge crowds of tourists clogging up the paths and trampling on the grass.
    The "dragon" head looks more like a devil's head to me, which also fits the serpent body. In any case, it is a weird instrument, well worthy of being exhibited in a museum.
    My sister is more or less regularly in Paris to visit our cousins there, but I don't think she has ever mentioned La Vilette. I have just sent her an email with a link to your blog, asking whether she knows the place.
    As for national anthems, ours has had similar problems to what you say about the French one. One of its verses is banned from being publicly sung, as the Nazis used it to justify Germany's rank as "top country" and Germans as "top race" according to their ideology. And we all know where that lead to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: My sister doesn't know La Villette, either.

      Delete
    2. I don't know the actual size of La Villette but I think it is pretty big, perhaps because it is not very central. So although it was very well used, there was still a lot of open space. trees, grass, etc. The museum itself was not very well patronised, actually, and although it made a complicated topic very easy to absorb, it was a relief not to have children running around and screaming and quite a serious clientele.

      Delete
    3. Oh, and I would be interested to hear what your sister thinks if she gets there!

      Delete
  6. A wonderful story about Paris and the music museum, Jenny. I had never heard of such a museum before, and I had never been to Paris. And now it is difficult to travel to France from Russia. So much information in your story! I liked the cornet, its sound is similar to the voice of a person singing. I also heard the Irish anthem for the first time. It’s good that there were words on the screen and it was clear what they were singing about. I liked the music and words. It’s probably fortunate that the music museum is located in the suburbs of Paris; those who are truly interested in music will come there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to travel to Paris again from Russia. It's interesting that you said the cornett sounded like someone singing. That is one of the features that people liked about it during the time when it was commonly used and it was often commented upon! Marin Marsenne, a mathematician who was also interested in musical harmonics, wrote about it in 1636 that "it seems like the brilliance of a shaft of sunlight appearing in the shadow or in darkness, when one hears it among the voices in cathedrals or in chapels."

      Delete
  7. The dragon cornett is amazing. This must have important meanings.
    You have visited wonderful places and showed us lots of interesting things with good explanations.
    Thank you for your kind comment on my Kagura post. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!. I have realised I do not know why this cornett has a dragon head. Maybe I can find out. But it was popular to make some of the wind instruments of this time resemble serpents and fantastical animals.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous Fly in the Web.....If ever I return to France I will go there...thank you for such a lovely introduction.
    Did you know that the competitor for the Irish national anthem was ' O'Donnell Abu'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they made the better choice with Amhrán na bhFiann. On my recent visit to Kinsale I was told all how Red Hugh demoralised his supporters by going to Spain and unfortunately getting killed. And, it was also a few hundred years later that Ireland got its independence, which is an awfully long time, (not to disrespect Red Hugh's achievements.) But mainly I find the words and tune of Amhrán na bhFiann more inspirational.

      Delete
    2. 'Some have come from lands across the sea'....amazing how the Americans always turn up!

      Delete
  9. Wow, I clearly missed a lot of Paris on my short visit a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have to say I nearly missed it this time, it just happened to be round the corner from the grim Airbnb!

      Delete
  10. I visited France many years ago but never went to Paris! I can't remember why now!

    Lovely post and photographs, that is such a peaceful night-time scene from the park and that building with Lego bricks interspersed is wonderful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you commented on the Lego bricks - I was very taken by them!

      Delete
  11. Dear Jenny - Nice to see the photos of interesting things from Paris and to hear your thoughts. I’m interested in your talk about national anthem. I like La Marseillaise, of which melody causes adrenaline flowing. I like “Do you hear the people song” of a film Les Miserables, too, which brings hope under the oppression. My country’s “Kimigayo” is distinctively and uniquely Japanese. The lyrics based on the poem more than a thousand years ago to wish longevity of an old man is perhaps the shortest in the world with only 32 letters, and the solemn melody was written later than Meiji Restoration. “Kimi/you ga/of yo/time” once interpreted as “The time of your Majesty” during the emperor rule, “The time of the People” after WWII. Though long prosperity is wished in “…until the pebbles grow into boulders, lush with moss”, I think it also symbolizes that united people get strengthened to fight against the common problems of the world, not war. I searched English translation of Irish national anthem to find different sort of lyrics from the impression of its melody. You asked, “National anthems carry such a weight on them, don’t they?” I agree, because National anthem is the one which symbolizes and evokes its history and traditions. As time goes on, sometimes its significance get blurred or lost.
    I was happy to receive your email full of personal information and photos. Please be patient until I reply to you.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting reply, Yoko. I listened to "Kimigayo" and thought it dignified and melodious. I also like that it's not too long. The idea of "less is more" is increasingly interesting to me as I get older. Thanks also for the explanation of its meaning. I particularly like the idea of waiting till pebbles grow into boulders. I am very keen on music that i find inspirational in an elated or peaceful way. I don't always want to feel indignant or active! . I like the 40 Part Motet by Thomas Tallis . every melody line is ding by a separate voice. It is orderly and beautiful.

      Delete
  12. The serpent-shaped cornett is remarkable! Personally I think the Philharmonie Concert Hall looks rather wonderful. I think the design is fascinating. The musical sculptures are intriguing too. As for national anthems, I totally agree that the Irish one is more inspiring than the British one. God save our King indeed. How about saving all the people who're falling into poverty and destitution?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree they (or we) didn't seem to figure much in the anthem. I am actually quite a royalist but this definitely goes too far in sucking up to one's "betters" for my taste.

      Delete
  13. I am glad you enjoyed Paris so much. For me the highlight wwas black sheep in the park! I'm easily pleased. As far as national anthems go there are one or two good ones, though most are dreary. Only the Welsh, even in a small crowd, actually sing properly and with gusto! My musical niece would love the museum, and could probably play some of those instruments. I play the wireless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this is the same niece who does the history videos, she is a talented lady! The black sheep were surprisingly nice to sit and look at. Very calm and peaceful.

      Delete
  14. As you know, this one was completely new to me! And I suspect we both -- but especially Rick -- would have gone out of his mind in fascination. (There is a small -- very small -- music museum in Oxford and I think he went twice and the time I was with him, stayed a LONG time!). The whole park looks enticing with the carousel, playground and so much more. I enjoy the art as well. That dragon coronet is fascinating. I've never seen anything like that.

    Your thoughts on the Marseillese (I should double check that spelling) was interesting. You're right about it being a stirring anthem. I can't hear it without thinking of the scene in "Casablanca" where it starts with one and soon all are singing. Our anthem is awful. It's almost impossible to sing -- the range is far too large for most voices. It's far more warlike (rockets' red glare, bombs bursting in air) than the one I'd choose, "America the Beautiful" (though these days it's not all that beautiful but it's nice to remember spacious skies and amber waves of grain. I'm curious -- our song 'My Country Tis of Thee" is to the tune of "God Save the King." I'm guessing your anthem was first -- from what was it derived?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think I know about the museum in Oxford - it must be VERY small! I must say that small museums are often my favourites but the best of the big ones win hands down! Interesting point about your national anthem having too wide a range. I am often amazed at how difficult many hymns are to sing, for similar reasons. I suppose that basically they have to cater for a range of voices, from basso profundo to very squeaky. i don't think anyone knows where "God Save the King" came from - it might have been a tavern song, it is thought! I always thought it was interesting that "My Country Tis of Thee" had the same tune, I would guess it might have been making a political point of some kind, don't you think?

      Delete
  15. Jenny, Paris is still on my list of to visit cities and now I know a few more interesting destinations to include. The music museum looks like it would be a place to spend a lot of time. The Philharmonie concert hall is indeed striking and at first glance, I thought it was a ship hull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to Paris, I'm sure you'd find all kinds of interesting things. Your tour in London seemed to include a very good mixture of things. Recalling the Philharmonie, I couldn't get any idea of what it looked like, apart from itself - it is a really odd shape, yet also hard to describe just why. When you get to Paris you may well see what I mean!

      Delete
  16. I saw your post earlier, but wasn’t able to comment. How lovely that you’ll be away for Christmas! Wishing you and your family a very happy one, and thank you for all your lovely, interesting and colourful posts this last year!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive