Sunday 12 February 2023

Birthday Central & Jewellery

These few weeks are Birthday Central!   Happy 9th birthday to the twins, who both decorated their own cakes and thoroughly enjoyed their party.  It was a lovely party. Boy Twin had been making long lists and planning it in various different ways for weeks, Girl Twin was happy to just enjoy it whatever happened.  They both completely entered into making and icing their own cakes (with a bit of parental help.)

The next birthday coming up is next week, when K. has hers. The following week it's F's birthday. And we have just also had a great birthday meal with Young A.   He's now 18 and will be leaving school next year.  He usually drops by to see us every week or two and it is always good to hang out with, so it was an honour to join him and others in Winchester for a great meal in a friendly pub just opposite the medieval City Mill, a watermill which once ground most of the town's flour.     Here is the view through the stone balustrades of the bridge. 


The mill now belongs to the National Trust but it used to be a youth hostel, and a very memorable one it was too.  After we left the pub, T. and I had a little walk around the city centre, watched the mill race rushing beneath the bridge, and remembered staying there long ago when we were young. There was a cavernous space used as a common room, and very few modern conveniences.  We recalled being told stories by older hostellers about how in their past, the the living accommodation had been so primitive that the men had to haul water up from the mill race if they wanted to wash.   I never went into the men's washroom myself, but T said that they also had to tip their basins of dirty water back into the mill race, even though by then, cold taps and basic electric light had been installed.  

Young people can take quite a bit of discomfort in their stride, and we caught the end of the period when many YHA buildings supplied discomfort with great generosity. Despite this, many of the ancient buildings were incredibly old, beautiful and atmospheric.  They had become hostels in the 1920s or 1930s, when out of date stuff like watermills or decaying mansions were considered a liability, and ideal for providing basic accommodation for hikers and cyclists.  (These days, of course,  they are considered priceless, and would sell for millions.)  I'm so glad I had the chance to stay in so many of them.  

In its hostel days, the Mill retained its old machinery (which didn't work at the time,  though I believe it has now been restored) and at night it was extremely dark and full of the noise of the water, which you could also see rushing along if you peeped through the gaps in the massive oak floor boards. The last time I stayed there was at this time of year. It was truly freezing, and clouds of my own breath surrounded my bed all night. In fact I was mildly surprised my breath hadn't spread frost across my pillow by the morning!   

Winchester Mill was,  however, much more comfortable Willy Lott's Cottage in Suffolk, where I had to sleep for a whole week. You may recognise this beautiful old cottage on the left of "The Hay Wain" by Constable.   



It is still there, and I imagine it has now been fully modernised, but words won't convey how awful it was when I stayed there. It was in fact used as accommodation for a Field Studies Council course and we students were doing a course during the day and trying to sleep at night.  Not easy when the place has more or less been built in a pond.  Each night I tossed and turned, figuring that my body heat was evaporating away some of the dampness, but not nearly fast enough. The sheets were far damper and colder than a mere human body could ever manage to make warm!  

Talking of cold, I think and hope we're past the worst of the cold this year. It's been pleasant going out and cycling around and seeing things. Went to the  V & A museum yesterday.  T. was doing something there so I just looked around the first gallery I came to.  It was full of magnificent jewellery.  It's been reorganised recently to explain much more about the background of the treasure on display.  An interesting section on magic and belief had this 15 carat gold bracelet from 1975, which uses gems taken from older jewellery:  lapis lazuli, purple glass, jadeite, almandine garnet, black opal, diamond, green tourmaline, white opal, citrine, bloodstone, pearl and moss agate.  Most of them have traditional meanings or supposed powers, and are just the thing for a rich hippie with money to spare.   


My favourite part was the display of  20th and 21st century work. This piece with its strange face also dates from the 1970s.   


One of the most eye catching modern pieces was a life sized butterfly ring of diamonds and tsavorites, (which are an extremely small and expensive form of green garnet.)  It belonged to the singer Beyonce, and is designed so that if the wearer flexes their fingers, the butterfly's wings flutter. How great is that for a piece of jewellery?   


By contrast, this ring from 2015 looks like a bit of corrugated card fastened with staples, but in fact it's made of patinated silver and white gold.    


In a display of various approaches to rings I spotted one made by someone I knew when I was at college.  I'd seen one of his rings years ago at the V & A and been really impressed at how well he was doing. In those days he was making portrait rings of rich people and their families. I thought it was an attractive idea - you could wear a portrait of your loved ones (or even of yourself) all the time.  This ring was in a non-representational style, featuring something like a bullet held into the mount with wire.  I couldn't get a good picture, unfortunately, but sadly I didn't like it as much as the portraits anyway. 
 
Last weekend we paid a visit to a couple of our local attractions - Kenwood House, where we saw the magnolias in the garden bursting to come out - Spring is on its way.  Kenwood doesn't have closely planted gardens, but there are good displays of spring flowering bulbs (which will be out in March) and lots of shrubs and trees, including several gnarled and venerable magnolias.   The buds were so beautiful, large, furry and full of life, and look at all the plant life these twigs support!


Then we had lunch with some people further down the hill at  Burgh House, a 17th century country gentleman's house which was rescued for the community about 20 years ago. It is now well restored, and popular for various events and it also houses the local museum and art gallery.  Among the items currently on display was this gorgeous  life sized portrait of a fireplace. It is framed in real velvet curtains, and is much prettier than my picture can show as it is partly collaged, and using little sparkly gems.   


 I spent time examining the selection of objects shown including paintbrushes and a little plastic "troll" figure. I also liked the  cat ornaments hidden away at the bottom of the grate, which look quite modern to me despite their formal gaze.     
 

I thought I'd like a mantelpiece picture of my own, and wondered what I'd put in it.  It would need to be be something I was happy to see every day, and which seemed to be about me.  Looking at my real mantelpiece (as, we do have mantelpieces in our Victorian flat) I see lots of quaint little things that belonged to now deceased relatives, and hand-made items people have created for me, so that is what I actually choose to display.  

However, the most striking thing on our main mantelpiece is a very large Victorian Indian-style looking glass that I bought in an auction when I was 20.  It is not in great condition, and the silvering on the mirror has deteriorated to the extent you can't really see your reflection very well.  Nobody ever comments on it being beautiful, so I guess that "eye-catching" may be more the sort of word they have in mind. I often wonder why I keep it but I would be lost without it.  
    
What do you think you would show on your painted mantelpiece ?   

41 comments:

  1. I had a painted mantlepiece, and on it we kept a beehive clock. I wish I could remember the other two items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look up what a beehive clock is, have not heard of them before.

      Delete
  2. Have never had a mantelpiece or thought about what I would put on one--lol!
    I can't believe the twins are nine years old! I could have sworn I remember you talking about when they were born or when they were just babies--have we known each other that long already? Wow! Well, Ian is now 8 1/2--so maybe. Nice! :)
    That butterfly ring that moves fascinates me!
    Have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita! I know, Ian was born not too long after the twins. It's true what they say that time starts flying by as you get older. I also think the first years go quite slowly and speed up gradually, just as we are slowing down gradually! LOL!

      Delete
  3. The jewelry show looks like it was fascinating, and i can only imagine what it was like to stay in such hostels. I was raised by a woman who believed a hotel with no room service was roughing it!

    I wish all of the birthday boys and girls many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! they did all have a great time!

      Delete
  4. Thank you. The gold bracelet is fantastic, showing lapis lazuli, purple glass, jadeite, almandine garnet, black opal, diamond, green tourmaline, white opal, citrine, bloodstone, pearl and moss agate. Of course we recognise diamonds, pearls, lapis lazuli and black opals without labels, bit many semi precious stones are mentioned without being identified in jewellery ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very hard to tell what stones are, so I always note it down. In time I may be able to identify them better without the notes!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to all the birthday boys and girls in your family!
    Sleeping in cold, damp bedding? I would not have lasted one single night, let alone a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't NOW! I was a lot younger then and found it pretty hard even then!

      Delete
  6. Your header is very cool! Lucky strong branch! The corrugated ring is silly- but so important! Important enough to be at the V&A. Looks like a worthy display of gems in settings, love the mantle idea. I think that I would need to paint many- I can never decide what objects I love best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment about the header. People rarely notice them. The tree is a real favourite - it is right in front of Kenwood House, and I often wonder too why it still has all its branches!

      Delete
  7. What isa on my mantlepiece? Dust! How nice to see you getting out and about. I once stayed overnight in a Mill, near Berwick, not a great event. Not sure you can call 'A' young any more if he is 18. But the kids have a future in cake making, they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my house dust likes all kinds of surfaces not just mantelpieces!

      Delete
  8. I really liked Kenwood House and the Hemstead area although I was there once. I especially remember the Hill garden and Pergola with roses and lianas. Amazing jewelry you showed. Precious and semi precious stones are always beautiful in jewelry. On my mantelpiece is a clock and small mementos from my travels. They remind me of better times. My magnolias are under snow (. Best regards and wishes from me to all your family members on their birthday, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the snow is starting to melt now, Nadezda. I really adore pergolas, and am sad I will never have one of my own. They seem to feature a lot in pictures of gardens between about 1900 and 1935. I think the Hampstead one might have been built around then but I haven't checked.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday to the twins, and I remember when they arrived - how time flies, and our little twins are 2.5 now :) What great cakes, and I really like that they decorate their own cake. What adventures you had back in the day, staying in that fabulous old Mill in Winchester with the water rushing beneath the floorboards. We went to Winchester once, and stayed in a B&B - I wanted to see the Cathedral and it was quite a treat. More memories re Willy Lotts cottage, immortalised in The Haywain, and I think there are glimpses of it in some of the other Constable paintings. We have not seen a lot of England, but we have been to see Willy's cottage and the lock and bridge. I wished we could go inside the cottage but it was out of bounds. Amazing that you stayed there and it was a Youth Hostel. What an art pilgrimage! Butterfly ring is really pretty and I wonder why Beyonce gave it up to the museum. Maybe she wears it once and moves on.... Great post Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Patricia. It sounds to me as if you have visited several slightly off the beaten track attractions in Britain during your visits. I don't know how many have actually visited Willy Lott's cottage, even though it is so familiar from the picture, for instance I hope Beyonce gave the ring to the museum because she had finished with it and wanted the public to enjoy it. i think it is such a wonderful piece that it will be displayed for many years, and her name will live on!

      Delete
  10. I never went in for youth hostelling as a youngster, but I did gather from a lot of hostellers that conditions in most of the hostels were pretty primitive. Willy Lott's cottage sounds awful! Though as you say young people can handle a bit of discomfort.
    The portrait of the fireplace is wonderfully detailed. I wonder why it includes a troll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about the troll too. I think it must be a personal thing about the artist. I really do not like these trolls but I once had a friend who collected dozens in different colours, so they clearly appeal to many people.

      Delete
  11. You are so right about how young people can put up with all sorts of discomforts that we old people never would if given any choice at all!
    I love that mantlepiece picture. I have five mantlepieces in this house- all different- and one of them has three old, found mirrors on it. I love that one.
    That bracelet! I want it! I AM that old hippie! Wouldn't spend the money but oh, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have five different mantelpieces. We have three, and used to have four, which was in a way the best one of all, put in about 50 years after the house was built. Trouble was it took up half the room as it was really enormous and quite elaborate. We gave it to a friend who was renovating their house and really wanted it.

      Delete
  12. How wonderful to have so many birthdays to celebrate in your family. Also nice that the twins got to decorate their own cakes which really looked sweet in more ways than one. No mantel here, so not sure what I would put on one, most likely family photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel a mantel could do with a mirror but we have a small Victorian mantelpiece in a small top room where the ceiling slopes too much for a mirror!

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday wishes to all those celebrating :)

    No mantel here, but we do have tables/shelves dotted around with various pieces and photographs on display. I like the troll in your photograph ...

    Enjoy your February days, at least we've had some sunshine recently.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I don't have any tables with things displayed. (Isn't it funny - I have only just realised that!)

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday to all celebrants! I love that each twin made their own cake. Had I a mantel, blue glass and some wooden sculptures gifted by various friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue glass is always a good idea. I had a Danish friend who had a lot of it and it was quite wonderful to see it all together.

      Delete
  15. Oh Jenny, what a wonderful post. Almost (but not quite!) as good as being there myself! First, I just love the cakes the kids decorated -- you can tell they really went to town with it and did exactly what they wanted and they are delightful. The images from the V&A, the Winchester pub view of the mill and that fabulous painted mantel portrait are wonderful. I especially love that portrait and the troll is a fun touch. I used to have those as a kid and wish I still had my originals! Most of all, I loved the stories of your time in the hostels. All I can say, Jenny Woolf, is that you are a far heartier soul than I -- even in my youth!

    What would be on my mantel portrait? Hmmm. Well, I change out my mantel at home for the seasons -- right now it has a few snow folk but time to switch it out soon. Too early for spring and Easter but just getting time, so who knows? I like photos on it, sometimes books, and always special things. I must think on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cakes are certainly an expression of their inner thoughts! And yes, hostels were rough and ready but there was a charm to them too, if they were old at any rate. And, I suppose, y ou could think you were living like the old country folk had done as a bit of a consolation for the discomfort - (just a bit! )

      Delete
  16. On my painted mantelpiece there would be an Oscar for Best Screenplay, a Tony for Best Play, an Emmy for Outstanding Teleplay, several Pulitzer Prizes, a Nobel for Literature, and a Reuban for Best Comic Strip.

    I don't have any of those things in real life, but then, I don't have a mantelpiece either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some circumstances it is even nicer to have a painted one than a real one LOL!!!

      Delete
  17. Happybirthday to the little ones..lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your posts are always interesting, Jenny...and this one joins the list.

    Happy Birthdays abound....I'm sure everyone is enjoying the happiness shared. :)

    Take care. We've got the heat here...while you have the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think scientists should be working on mix and match for weather, Lee. I hate it when it's too hot but it's so raw here ... not exactly freezing so it fools you into not dressing up as if for an Arctic expedition... I think it's the wind that makes it so perishing.

      Delete
  19. I've tried to post a comment numerous times, to no avail. Blogger can be so damned frustrating at times...and lately too often.

    As always...a great post, Jenny. Happy Birthdays all round...and I hope the happiness continues.

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to say that your last comment appeared, Lee. Thanks for keeping trying!

      Delete
  20. I would put my own trolls on a mantle, I'm a huge fan of them. That is one incredible piece of jewelry on so many levels. Thanks for sharing some of your history and especially the old mill, I enjoyed it all. Take care and thank you for stopping in to my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always enjoy your blog, specially the inspirational and interesting quotes. I often wonder where you find them all. Maybe I'll put that comment on one of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive