Friday 4 February 2022

Covid, Construction, Consternation.

I've tried to avoid talking about Covid (well, someone's got to avoid it, right?)  but if I'm going to stick to my plan to post more, I have to mention that T and I have both tested positive. I got sick before him, and I'm now out of quarantine, but still not feeling that great.  My doctor said I'd probably continue to feel tired for a while. 

We were right in the midst of a bathroom renovation when Covid struck. 


Sooooo.... bathroom sink, tiles and WC have been removed, the builder also has Covid and we have learned the hard way that building supplies are running out and shooting up in price in Britain, and so many European workmen have left London that it's very hard to find people to do any building work at all.   

On the bright side, we still have a bath, which you see in the picture above.  What's more, it's plumbed in!  It's good that we have a sink (we're re-using the old one, which we really like) and we have nice new tiles ready to be fixed.  After several attempts at buying a toilet pan and fixings, we now have one waiting to be put in.  

On the dark side, this bathtub is damaged, and will need to be returned. and T's been running around trying to source another.  It took him approximately five hours of work to locate and pay for a suitable one.  It's not funny for Britain's customers, tradesmen or salesmen, this combination of Covid, Brexit, worldwide rising energy prices, rapidly increasing inflation and a government in disarray.   

Perhaps T. finds it helpful to have spent part of his youth living in Africa during a civil war. I hasten to add that he was not in a dangerous area of the country, but he knows all about spending time and hard work on trying to source perfectly ordinary stuff which then doesn't turn up, or is poor quality, or broken.   So we're both trying to take the view that life is too short to worry about the perfect bathroom, and T has been really quite enjoying himself painting all the bathroom paintwork (since the painter went AWOL, to the builder's consternation.)   I'm focusing on keeping the dust down and the place as tidy as possible with building supplies everywhere.  I haven't had the energy to do much that's creative, though apart from scanning old negatives. 

I had a big box of these and borrowed a scanner, so have been working my way through them.  It's absolutely fascinating to me to look through my old life. Probably not so fascinating to you, though, so I'll just show you this one photo, of dear little V. aged nearly two, riding on a Chiquita banana on wheels, a gift from an aunt in America. 

We were living in North Staffordshire, and it's nice to see these images which have been forgotten for so long.  They were taken in our first home, which we spent a lot of time repairing and doing up. Seeing it again, I'd still like to live there. It was an Art Deco masterpiece, built by a master builder for himself in the 1930s, with stained glass, mother of pearl, oak, mosaics and terrazzo.  This was not fashionable at the time, and after we sold the house to return to London, I asked the purchaser to preserve that fireplace with its gold and eau-de-nil mosaics.  It was a bit cheeky of me, but I hope they did keep it,  and I hope it's still there.  

Sorry for the awful quality of the image, but it is taken on some weird old film stock which has deteriorated badly. . 

Other than this, I am slowly reading through and commenting on your posts. And the new bath is arriving, supposedly, in 2 weeks time. The suppliers promise to keep us updated, but are so worried that it won't arrive that they've offered us a refund if they can't get hold of it. Fingers crossed. Whatever, I suspect we will be using the upstairs shower and WC for a while yet. 

 

29 comments:

  1. Fortunately you do have the upstairs plumbing. Sorry to hear you're sick, though. Things in the UK are fraught enough without illness on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is getting hard to find things here, too, and it generally takes longer to get them when you do. I can only imagine that in Britain, things are worse due to Brexit. But of course, that is only a guess. It is good that you have a husband who is enterprising and experienced when it comes to obtaining what you need.
    What a beautiful picture of your darling daughter! And I bet that fireplace was stunning along with the entire house! I think I would have loved it.
    So sorry that you got Covid. I'm glad you're recovering. I know in some cases it takes awhile to really completely get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your Covid news, Jenny, and I do hope you'll both feel a lot better soon. I'm very surprised that I haven't succumbed yet.The wretched bug is everywhere.
    I'm also sorting old, old paperwork; stuff that I've looked at in the past and then put away again, unable to face it. I doubt I'll find anything as engaging as little V on her bananamobile, but, just to show what an inspiration you are I may post something I found in my own dusty archive last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dear I have been there with the bathroom renovations, not something I enjoy. My sympathies on catching the virus. I often wonder if I caught it just before it all kicked off because I was sick for a few weeks then my wife caught the same. Doub't I will know now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you recover fully soon. I agree about finding old photographs- aren't they a pleasure?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers y'all's good health,
    and your bathroom renovation goes smoothly from now on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I must say you all are handling your situation with amazing good spirits and fortitude. It's making me think my husband and I will kick the can down the road a bit longer before we undertake a bathroom and kitchen redo (not too major but taking care of some issues.) I'm so sorry you got COVID. Wishing you a continued smooth recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all goes wrong at once. I hope the Covid weariness dissipates quickly.
    I am doing my late brothers photos, and some are very interetsing.
    When I did my parents old pics I saw them in a new light.
    Keep the good memories.
    I hope the builder returns quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a tantalising glimpse of your Art Deco marvel, Jenny! And to hear there was MOP detailing in your old home as well has me sighing with pleasure at the notion. Such a pity that these things are so easily tossed aside for changing fashions.

    Bathroom renovations are challenging to live through, at the best of times, but you've some utterly dreary handicaps besetting yours. One day it'll be over and you'll be able to soak in your tub admiring it all, so I wish that day upon you soon and a speedy recovery to good health, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry you are sick. Your health is more important than a tub. I'm glad you have a functional bathroom until the other is sorted. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bathroom reno's are so tough, and I had a first class crew when my bathroom was done over maybe eight or ten years ago. My house is 100 years old and has one bathroom for downstairs and one up. My darling builder reset the toilet every night for several days to spare this old lady trying to climb the stairs to the other toilet in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you get your bathtub soon and WC. At least you have another bathroom to use. We had issues with items not available at Panera Bread at times. Even products I buy from Young Living go out of stock and some haven't come back in stock of months! (YoungLiving.com) I am glad you and your husband made it through the virus. The 2 of us at home had a virus and I missed two days of work and hubby at least one day. My daughter works online and sometimes she'd take a nap as it was needed. We enjoy watching "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS. I remember watching the original one when my husband and I were living in Felixstowe after we got married. Dr. Who was so good !! US Air Force, at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge. Have a good weekend in spite of the stuff all over your house! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, so you‘ve caught it, too. We have escaped so far, but I suspect it is only a question of time - omicron seems to get through all three vaccinations and is practically everywhere.
    Good job you still have a shower and WC. When my bathroom was done in 2018, I had to move in with my sister for that time.
    Your attitude reg. such things and life being too short to worry unduly reflects mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to learn you're on the mend, Jenny...and I hope Tony is, too.

    I don't envy you the renovations. Everything is made more difficult than it should be nowadays, it appears.

    Keep taking good care...I hope you've both back to feeling 100% very soon. Best wishes from Down Under. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you are not stuck at the point of being without facilities!
    Get well steadily xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, now I know why you and Tony have been in my head so much lately. Long distance worry. I'm so sorry to hear you both have been dealing with Covid and I hope by the time you read this that it is behind you, although I know the after effects seem to linger. You have been so very careful these days and even when you are, it's still more likely than not. I have been practically a hermit this winter and later today will venture into the land of the unknown -- a visit to the toddlers. I'm not to worried about them or their mom as they got over it in December. And their dad is pretty in-the-house (works from home) and careful when out. But I will still fret. Rick is headed to Texas tomorrow and I am SO not thrilled about him being on a plane. I won't see him for a long time.

    What frustration with the bathroom. Any kind of reno and work can be frustrating but a bathroom is kind of a big deal -- it's just right there and so needed and you can't not see it (like you can construction on a roof or something out of sight). I'm glad it's not your only spot and you can still use it but with the delays and costs and all, so frustrating. Love the scanned pic. I'm doing similar and it's a big project but a worthwhile one! Take care. Letter soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have double whammy of C and plumbing problems

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not a great start to February but, playing the Glad Game, you do at least have facilities you can use. Good luck with the completion and getting back to full health again. I completely renewed my main bathroom some years ago and, hopefully, now that I've done the kitchen as well that's me finished improvements for the rest of my time in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a sweet photo! Such a pretty smile.

    Praying you get over the crud quickly and that you do find all the plumbing fixings you need and people to properly install it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Despite the two shots, I caught covid right around Christmas. For me it was like a bad cold and nothing more. I'm 100% back where I was before I came down with it, and here's hoping you will be, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish you a speedy recovery, jenny. It's a pity you got infected. Walk outdoors, relax. Remodeling is always hard to go through, and bathroom remodeling is even harder. I still live with an old bathroom, it is cast iron and warm. Kid is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sorry you were infected with the dreaded virus, Jenny, and I hope you all feel much better, very soon. Right in the middle of renovations is not at all the best time to be ill. Fingers and toes crossed your bath turns up soonish. Dear little Miss V, on her banana - I love it. Wishing for a banana on wheels for my little twin grandchildren : they have just started to speak and have a great line in 'banana'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Getting sick anytime is not pleasant for sure, Jenny, and more so in the midst of a project. Hope you are both feeling better soon and that the renovation will be done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry you both have covid, especially in the middle of your bathroom renovation, what awful timing. I got covid during the New Year and still feel tired a month later. It does mean I'm getting a nights sleep though, something I haven't had for years!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Building supplies are scarce and expensive all over. So glad you were able to find what you need even if you have to wait for them to arrive.
    So sorry to hear you had covid and are still not feeling back to normal. Dreadful stuff. I hope you feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Renovations are stressful enough when you're feeling well. I can only imagine how devastating it is when you were struck with Covid. I certainly hope that you are gaining strength and feeling better. Please take care - - wishing you well and sending positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I gather lots of people are having problems with building work, what with a shortage of materials, shortage of skilled labour, big price rises and huge demand for work to be done. Luckily our house was in good condition when we moved in and we haven't needed any building work. Of course we all know the problems are closely linked to Brexit, and that situation's not going to change any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Getting sick in the midst of a project like that sounds very tiresome indeed. Glad you at least seem to have another WC and shower! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do hope you fully recover soon, and good luck with your bathroom renovations.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive