Wednesday 26 September 2018

Time

I was going to post "in a few days" about Avebury Manor.  I suppose this counts as a few days...doesn't it?   Anyway, I'm goanna get this post out today. It's about a couple of things I did (including Avebury) on the theme of re-imagining the past. The crucial word is "imagining".  The past itself is living elsewhere in time, isn't it? Which is why we cannot visit it - but we can have some fun imagining and even re-creating it.  

So here is this little fellow lying on the grandest of four poster beds and looking around at the big new world surrounding him.  


He is looking up at this - a gold and red canopy with pleated silk and gold tassels.


He's lying in a very fancy bedroom in Avebury Manor, a charming house owned by the National Trust.  This bedroom has panelled, painted and marbled walls and scarlet swagged curtains, the colours are bright, thee's a painted ceiling full of clouds, and a portrait of all kind of exotic birds - and much more.   


And nearly all of it created just a few years ago.

In case you didn't read my last post, Avebury manor is the biggest house in  a unique village in Wiltshire which is built right in the middle of a Neolithic henge and ritual landscape.  It is  a  higgledy-piggledy place, made of local stone, reflecting no - or perhaps all - periods of recent history.   


It was built on the site of a much older building, but the oldest surviving part is from about 1550, and there have been additions ever since.  When the National Trust acquired the house, decades ago, it was empty of furniture and so was not much of a visitor attraction.   However, in  a very bold move the Trust agreed nearly ten years ago that BBC television would turn nine of the house's empty rooms into a kind of stage set to reflect various periods in its history. 

The plan was to build on the original features that still remained in the empty house - the plaster ceilings, the panelled walls, the old doors - but re-imagine it with new items,  hand painted, hand gilded, hand woven, hand carved, and all of them in exact period style for each different room.  Accessories - books, plates, less important furniture - would be genuine period (but not very high value) items sourced from auctions and secondhand shops.  

So,unlike other stately homes whose contents are roped off and fitted with alarms, there would be no objection to Avebury Manor's visitors treating the house in a normal, careful way - picking up objects, sitting on the beds, lounging on the sofas, in a way that is impossible with fragile antique furniture.  And hence the reason that Baby is lying on that four poster bed.

It's really great wandering around Avebury Manor now.   Look at this beautiful Tudor room - sparsely furnished by our standards, but very appealing with the sun coming in and brightening the heraldic crests and oak furniture. 

  
What about the Chinese handpainted wallpaper in the 18th century dining room?  It was painted a few years ago in China to old designs, and reflects the Georgian love of chinoiserie. 


My favourite room might almost be the cosy art deco parlour with its old book-cases, specially woven geometrical carpet and emerald green sofa.



Just the place to relax, but really, each of the rooms is a delight.  

As soon as I got home I went online and bought one of the results of the BBC's work. It's a book called "The Manor Reborn" which is available secondhand, and  a four part series. It's not currently available but I hope you can access this hour of Vimeo which shows Episode 1.  Or, even better, visit Avebury Manor and see it for yourself. 

A few days after returning from Avebury, I was again wandering round re-imagining history.   To be honest, I'd  never heard of the Chiltern Open Air Museum. But there it was on the map, just 45 minutes from where we live in North London, and we had a day free.  So we went to see what it was like.

I really loved it. It is run by a charity that rescues unwanted but unusual local buildings and puts them up again in a 44 acre smallholding. It was the most enchanting little world - reminded me a bit of a children's story where cars are banned and all the grown ups are happy in their work.



The place depends on volunteers, but as you see, they don't dress up in antique costumes and re-enact old-world lives. They do work very hard on the site: charcoal burning and growing  veg (the results sold to raise money)  they look after ponds and wildlife and animals, restore old farm vehicles, re-erect and convert properties to modern use.  I even came across these guys building a modern Nissen hut as a teaching space for kids, to match an original Nissen hut parked alongside.  


In case you don't know what a Nissen hut is, it's a simple hut, semi circular in section, made of corrugated iron or similar material,  Many were put up during and after the war, and used mainly as offices, store-rooms, even libraries and canteens. The photo below shows an original hut re-erected in the museum, with tape criss-crossed over its windows, as was customary to protect it from bomb blasts.


My favourite buildings were hard to choose, but they included a splendid Victorian public toilet, a little cricket pavilion now used to house the museum's charity shop, and a prefab.  Prefabs were prefabricated houses used after the war to re-home people who had been bombed out. They had surprisingly spacious rooms and were very comfortable and convenient for the time.  They were only supposed to last for fifteen years but many survived on for much longer, with their inhabitants most reluctant to exchange them for modern flats. 



Below is the prefab's living room.  I was surprised at how many of these objects I have seen in real life - that rug with the rose design, the chair, the clock on the mantelpiece. I suppose there wasn't much choice in those days.    
.

It's hard to choose which photographs to put in this post. The village hall? The tin church? The straw-plaiter's cottage, the old granary, or enormous ancient barns? I did like the wooden apple store below, now sited in the museum's orchard. 


I also adored the gothick toll house complete with board giving a list of tolls. to be paid by all who passed through the turnpike gate. 



The furnishings of some of the houses also offer glimpses into a past I'm glad I don't have to live in.  Look at this innocuous glass below. Known as a Penny Lick, it is a little glass cup that street iceream sellers used. It often wasn't washed between customers - can you imagine?  Just one of the things that contributed to the huge amount of contagious disease in the 19th century. 

And in a barn, we spotted an original "cherry picker"  These days, that generally means a hydraulic crane with a platform, used for working on overhead power lines. Then, it was a long ladder with an extra wide base base.  Here is an old photo of one in use  - how dangerous  does that look?



The one we saw was stored right across the top of a large barn. I couldn't get far away enough to photograph it but I did wonder how they got it there.  

Still, despite the dangers and lack of hygiene, I would still travel back into the real past if I could. Just for a few weeks, perhaps... 

And now I am very busy working on a new and interesting project which I'll share it with you in a few weeks' time. In any spare time,  T and I are making use of the fine weather to see the English countryside as autumn comes on.     Inspired by the Chiltern Open Air museum, we're looking around this particular bit of the home counties - where Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire meet. 

60 comments:

  1. Hello Jenny, I'll have to keep an eye out for The Manor Reborn. I do have the set of videos called The Victorian Kitchen (and the accompanying book) about restoring and using the old kitchen on a large estate. It is a great favorite of mine. Of course, we foreigners have to watch out for those PAL-standard videos!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised Jim if the series is showing on some obscure channel somewhere. it was made in 2011 and these things do have a tendency to pop up. I would quite like to see the other 3 episodes myself. I could only find the first one online.

      Delete
  2. What an enjoyable twofold post. I loved being shown round the Manor. Everything looked so comfortable and not as untouchable as some places. Part two was just as enjoyable, with a reminder of prefabs etc.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie, I am glad that you enjoyed it. It is curiously pleasant to have a nostalgic day sometimes.

      Delete
  3. What fantastic places to visit, both of them! I so love the idea of Avebury Manor. When we imagine the past, we so often imagine it furnished and decorated the way we see old places now - with all their patina, wear and tear. It is easy to forget that at their time, the houses, furniture, clothes etc. were new, and had not the faded charm we so admire today.
    Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I was absolutely astonished when I saw a re-created Victorian middle class interior. All I can say is that nobody had thought of trying to ensure that everything in the room "went" together in any way. The most lurid effect, although quite cheerful in its way!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting...two good ones to visit when we're down that way.
    That is marvellous ...babe's eye view of the bed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was staring with great interest, I must say.

      Delete
  5. Hello Jenny, such an interesting post. Avebury Major is a very clever idea, giving people a chance to touch and feel the furniture rather than looking from the rope barriers. Beautiful wallpapers, and love the green art deco sofa and room in general. I remember the Nissen huts which were used in Brisbane during the war also, and for a long time afterwards. I think they are all gone now. As for the original cherry pickers, how amazing are they? I could never have imagined them, but I suppose they had to get up there somehow before mechanization. Shudder to think of the accidents which might have occurred. Happy Autumn time, and enjoy your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cherry pickers are quite terrifying to look at and imagine climbing up. But I must admit I would like to have one (for someone else to use) since we have a cherry tree that grows tons of wonderful cherries, but most of them are way out of reach of normal ladders. I think these days growers do it the easy way and graft their cherries onto dwarf stock!

      Delete
  6. My goodness! Flying ducks on the wall! I've not seen them in ages! I wonder if any of the younger folk of today decorate with them. They became a bit of a standing joke with us when we were kids.

    You've raised my interest and curiosity with your "new and interesting project"! That's not fair dropping the hint! :)

    An enjoyable post, Jenny...I love your photos...and in particular, the one with the bub! :)

    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they had flying ducks in Australia! I suppose it was more "English" in those days, or perhaps flying ducks were a world wide phenomenon! When I next post I'll say more about my project. It's taking up all my time right now but i want to try and post soon.

      Delete
  7. What a charming post! I loved every picture and can I tell you that I have ALWAYS wanted an emerald green velvet sofa? Is that my sofa from a former lifetime?
    One episode of "Call the Midwife" featured some of those prefab houses and how people were sometimes loathe to leave them as they had been so comfortable in them for so long. Home is home, whether it's a grand place with a four-poster bed that astounds anyone who lays on it, even babies!, to a tiny cozy house one can call one's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like emerald green on pretty well anything. We once had an emerald green carpet, bought for our daughter's bedroom, and a very good one it was - it was a contract carpet so was almost indestructable. The idea was to make it look like she had a lawn in her bedroom. It was such a lovely colour that I have since tried to get something similar, but not succeeded yet.

      Delete
  8. Oh what wonderful places to visit in the UK. So much history and beauty. Maybe one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Avebury project has turned out so well...I shall watch the Vimeo this evening.
    What a super post all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't seen any posts from you for a while so will go over to your blog to check it out.

      Delete
  10. We knew so much of this in real life; silly buildings here and there, prized possessions. My aunt and uncle and four cousins lived in a home constructed of three voting booths, buildings very similar to your prefab. They were reconstructed at the voting site every time. Voters entered at one end and exited the other. Here's a quote to add to your ethereal post: Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once. Space exists so it doesn't all happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the quote! I knew someone who lived every summer in a converted railway carriage. there was a bit of a fashion for it between the wars - you'd buy a bit of land and park your converted carriage on it and use it as a holiday home. These days you'd be arrested for breaking planning laws, I suppose.

      Delete
  11. Richard's grandparents were rehoused in a prefab after being bombed out in WW2. They had been in Holburn. He remembers it as being very nice. I love that historic house that is not roped off, but one that allows you to place a baby on a bed! That is wond erful.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising how relaxing it is to know that you can actually sit down if you feel like it, and one of the rooms even had a sewing frame so that visitors could embroider a little bit!

      Delete
  12. History is always interesting to see, isn't it! Those Nissan huts are called Qounset huts over here and I lived in one for a while when I was 3 or 4 years old. There was a whole neighborhood of them rented out to families in the early 1950s near the Camp Pendleton Military Base where my dad worked at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad had his office in one - he was in the military so there were lots of them and I think most of them were used as offices. But living in one must have been a little bit like living in a hobbit house with the curved tops - how cool !

      Delete
  13. Love both these ways of preserving the past! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post, Jenny! I'm going to watch that Avebury film, since I can't go there, and the Chiltern museum looks really delightful. By the way, I love that Art Deco room!! What wonderful designs! Thank you for this. I so enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val! I hope you enjoyed the Avebury film - not sure what happened to the other 3 episodes, I was rather interested in what happened next!!!

      Delete
  15. There is so much to see in this post and all wonderful. Baby on the bed and his view are lovely, and I enjoyed seeing what they did to Avebury Manor and Chiltern Open Air Museum. How nice it is to go to historical homes and areas and be able to touch and not be roped off on the other side.

    Your header picture is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the header picture. It was the most beautiful May day, so lovely that I could hardly stop taking photos. And I'm pleased the buttercups came out yellow enough.

      Delete
  16. OMGosh! Both these spots are so intriguing and interesting--wow! Seems like one could spend a whole day at each one and not see everything. They made me want to be there so badly! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could manage to be fairly happy living in one of the houses in the open air museum for sure. Partly because there were no signs of modern life so it was a little bit like going back to my childhood.

      Delete
  17. I associate cherry-picking with easy picking, like low-hanging fruit, but that pic tells a different story.

    Your nissen huts seem to be our quonset huts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe that is what they are called elsewhere. That is a very strange word, quonset - I wonder what it means. Or perhaps it was someone's name. I always thought Mr. Nissen had designed the huts but maybe it was Mr. (or Ms) Quonset after all...

      Delete
  18. Such lovely gems, if i can ever get back to England, those will be on my ever-growing list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do return to England! Whenabouts did you go before?

      Delete
  19. Just finished reading your lovely post about Uffington's White Horse, Wayland's Smithy and Avebury - and was going to leave a comment, but lost the post! Thanks for the mention - much appreciated. Interesting necklace of rowan berries...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can see we're going to have to re-visit Avebury (and what a hardship THAT will be) to see the manor house - I just get immersed looking at the stones etc! And I've never heard of the Chiltern Open Air Museum - another one for the list - it looks excellent! Are you familiar wirth the Weald & Downland Museum near Chichester? - bit about it here - http://bitaboutbritain.com/weald-and-downland/ Thanks, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link, Mike. I have heard about the Weald and Downland museum but I've never been. It's not an area I tend to go to regularly but it's on my list when I do find myself in that neck of the woods.

      Delete
  21. I love Avebury Manor - when the girls were small we used to go there and pretend to be wearing posh frocks, sweeping our skirts from room to room. (Note to self - time the granddaughter had a go!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I am sure she will love it if she has an eye for colour and style. Quite a few stately homes and museums these days actually supply the posh frocks for kids to dress up in - a nice idea.

      Delete
  22. Aww about the baby.

    I like that gothic tollhouse, but even more the simple place with the apple tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love gothic but there is something about an orchard that always entrances me.

      Delete
  23. That's a great idea, furnishing the house with hand-made items of the correct period style. Even better that there aren't any fragile antiques to be protected and you can wander round without any restrictions. All the rooms in your photos look wonderful.

    The Chiltern Open Air Museum sounds good as well. A clever idea to re-erect unwanted buildings and put them on display. I wasn't sure what a beast of draught was. Google explains "A strong working animal used to draw a load like a cart, a plow etc, as opposed to a mount."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that it is a good idea. I sometimes think it is almost better than furnishing a stately home with furniture that has absolutely nothing to do with it but still can't be touched. But, they did need a top interior designer to do that house, it doesn't seem to have been that easy ... I guess if I did it would end up looking as if I'd furnished it from a jumble sale!!!

      Delete
  24. The past is another country, one I would like to visit as long as ether, antiseptic and painkillers are available.
    Great house, much amended over the years. Do the BBC make use of it for programmes?
    The art deco parlour is clearly the one for me. I could hear the music from the 'Cats whiskers' in the background.
    The prefab I remember, one aunt had one, fitted fridge included! Much better than the miners cottage they came from.
    Many would still use them if they could. The decoration is very 50's. Lino, not over all the floor, and rug at the fire.
    Our home was like that until 1970.
    The Nissen hut was famously hot in summer and freezing in winter, many old servicemen remember them well.
    We have to try to get into the mind set of the past, too many forget that our thinking and outlook is formed very differently from days gone by, and attempt to see the world as they saw it. Having aged relatives does help in this, they carry much of the outlook with them.
    Great post. I think you ought to post every day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment, I certainly think I should post every day or even every week. At this rate it is getting towards every month. But hey, here I am. No, the BBC don't use Avebury manor for programmes, at least not since they did their 4 part series on it in 2011. I once looked around a prefab for sale. It didn't cost much and had a charming apple tree in the garden. If (a) I'd been able to afford the "not much" that it cost, and (b) if it hadn't had quite a lot of asbestos in it, I would have been tempted. And you might have found me living in Nunhead, SE London. My dad's office was in a nissen hut for a while - he was in the army. Military people however don't complain when it's too cold :) You are absolutely right about getting rid of our mindset to understand the past. We never can hope to.

      Delete
  25. Fantastic post, Jenny, thank you
    I'd also like to travel back in time for a few hours as long as I have aspirin, and a good first aid kit complete with paddles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also perhaps the company of a professional dentist carrying round all his equipment plus a portable generator! :)

      Delete
  26. Oh My! Now I think I may have to find a way to get to Avebury and that house by hook or crook! The stone circle concept is interesting but the house! That's out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you make it while you are here, Jeanie!

      Delete
  27. I couldn't relax in any of those rooms you know, far too cluttered, with lots of different colours and textures, they would drive me insane. Interesting to look at but not live in. I love everything modern and uncluttered. Glass and metal etc. Saying all that I live in a house which is over 100 years old and there are aspects of it I hate. To me it looks like and old people's home, but the view we have is amazing, so you can't have it all. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy anyone who can be uncluttered. I just can't. I don't seem to be able to deal with an empty space without wanting to put something on it, or preferably scatter stuff randomly over it.

      Delete
  28. What the amazing Avebury Manor, Jenny! I love the Tudor room, especially the heraldic coats of arm above the mantelpiece. I think this trip looked like one in the 'Time machine'. The Open Air museums are popular now in the countries, I've been to the Skansen in Sweden. I liked your photo of the museum's orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little bit like entering a magic house, Nadezda, at Avebury. Perhaps because it had been decorated by the BBC so was a little bit like a film!

      Delete
  29. What a splendid and CHARMING house dear Jenny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thank you so much for taking us along as it is WORTH VISITING !

    your favorite room is my fav too,sitting in peace with stillness and having fine collection of books bear is a heavenly thought
    loved the all sights with interesting knowledge you provided my friend!
    best of luck for you project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baili! My favourite room is a very cosy one, ideal for chilly autumn and winter days!

      Delete
  30. I am in two minds about the past. It is there. Obviously. It has been the determinant of its future and our present. Just as we will determine our future and the present of our children. In 1957 Harold Macmillan said that 'we've never had it so good'. That was the post war economic boom. Everyone was putting his or her back into it. Unfortunately we have become complacent. I enjoy wallowing in the past occasionally. I certainly do not want to see the future. (Sorry. I think you hit a mental trigger there.)

    As always with your posts I've been wandering round following leads and enjoying my Sunday morning as a result. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I join you in your wish not to see the future, but perhaps that is because I have no hope of understanding it. Wouldn't it be odd to a Victorian to walk into a coffee bar today and see everyone immersed in their laptops and tablets,to see the moving pictures and hear the sounds, and wonder what on earth those things flying overhead were, the ones like small, shiny, rigid birds.... :)

      Delete

Blog Archive