Friday 29 May 2009

Glad to Have the Problem (I guess)

I've been wanting to write more on this blog about actual travelling - yes, that experience where you get your suitcases, set off into the sunrise, etc.

But in fact lately most of what I have had to report seems to be me refusing press trips BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE TIME. As for longer trips, it's easier because they can be planned much further in advance, but then they have to be pretty simple otherwise they start costing lots of money - the freebies one gets are rarely available for more than a day or two at a time.

In the last few weeks I have said no to short trips to discover rum in the Caribbean, coffee in Seattle, American spas, a farm in Tuscany and medieval architecture in the Netherlands. I even have an outlet for these stories, though the money I would make is not worth going on the trips for. But they would be so interesting.

Now been offered one I would really love; it includes the stained glass
in Chartres, which I've long wanted to see. But it departs very soon.

AND I STILL DO NOT HAVE THE TIME.

I am considering going anyway. Is it worth feeling totally stressed, headachey, worried, and downright ill trying to get everything else done beforehand? Press trips are not like a holiday at all and they usually keep you busy, so I can't say I will relax on the trip.

This still sounds like the sort of problem I ought to be glad to have. And that is true. I am glad to have it, even though it is frustrating, and even though I fear I won't go to Chartres either.

1 comment:

  1. Go! Better to regret doing something than regretting not doing something.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive