Friday 8 April 2022

Lights, Flamingoes and a Fortified Town.

 So what happened there?? I had half a dozen photos and a half written post about some interesting things in London, but we were just off to France, so I saved it and went off to catch the Eurostar.  My plan was to publish the London post on my return, and take my time writing about France.

BUT, on my return from France, both pictures and text about the London stuff had gone! I don't understand it... but anyway here I am -  and I'm going to write about France right now.  

We went by train, something we're aiming to do more of, partly for eco reasons, partly because it's so relaxing but also because when travelling on the Continent, stopovers can be such fun.   So, three hours after boarding in London, we were in Paris, where we would spend our first night.    

To be honest, I'd fallen a bit out of love with Paris the last time we went, which must be ten years ago now.  It had seemed dirty and traffick-y, and first impressions of the bear-garden that was the Gare du Nord didn't suggest anything had changed.  

But it had!  

 We took the metro across town to an inexpensive little hotel very near the Gare de Lyon train station. I was sure the area had been a bit of a dump, ten years ago. But now, the Gare de Lyon was in the throes of a massive renovation.  Wow!  Below is a picture of some splendid murals showing some of the enticing places you can reach from it by train, (or could reach around 100 years ago when they were painted.) They're doing a beautiful job of the renovation, and it all looked wonderful. I wished I could be standing under the tree in the far right panel and look out across that azure sea.


This area is also near the Coulée verte, a railway line now made into a linear garden and chasing away the faint aura of dirt and drabness that I had recalled.  And all the street-clogging traffic that had bothered me so much before had been replaced with - well, the sight and sound of people.  Some on bikes, but mainly just strolling around. There is no doubt that Paris has made real progress towards its aim of becoming a green city.  

It was pleasant how the old streets reflected sounds of voices and laughter, not traffic,  and I almost fancied that the atmosphere might have been similar when all those famous and soon-to-be-famous painters were hanging out in Paris at the turn of the last century.  It really felt like a nice, lively, creative place to be.

My friend and fellow blogger Jeanie had impressed on me that we must see Atelier des Lumières, a sound-and-light show in an old foundry. Its programmes usually centre on painters with a connection with Paris - and there certainly were a lot of those. The present main programme features Cezanne, the shorter one is about Kandinsky, and the theatre's about half an hour's walk from our hotel. It had a late opening, so we arrived around 9 PM to find it quite busy with people coming and going. 


Jeanie has described her own impressions of the place here, and I hope you'll enjoy reading it.  As she says, it's an immersive all-round experience.  You are free to wander around in a large space with pillars and huge walls, a long gallery above the main concourse, and even a sort of railed water pond in one corner (something to do with it being an old foundry, I guess.)   The imagery is projected everywhere, and at times the whole place seems to move around you or sweep you away with it.

I thought the musical accompaniment was terrific - every piece well chosen and all of it well performed.  Even though you do have to be there to get the full effect, here's a clip of one of my favourite parts.   It is a couple of minutes of the Cezanne programme, performed to the music of the Savages'  Dance in Rameau's opera-ballet "Les Indes Galantes".  


It was worth missing an evening meal for - in fact we stayed to see some of it twice - but I wished we'd arranged to stay longer in Paris, because there were also some really nice, friendly, interesting and inexpensive restaurants on the way to it.   Still, next day we were due to take the train to what is normally one of the sunniest cities in France - Montpellier.  

As we rushed through the countryside at 200 km an hour, though,  I couldn't help noticing that the beautifully sunny Paris weather was gradually giving way to greyer and greyer skies ... and as we drew into Montpellier, the windows actually began to streak with rain. By the time we were out of the station, cold rain was falling steadily. How had I managed to choose one of the few times in the year when Montpellier's weather was as dismal as London at its glummest? AND I'd made the fundamental mistake of arriving all ready to sightsee on Monday, the day in France where almost everything is closed!  I put it down to the fact that I am simply out of practice in booking trips abroad after two  years of Covid.  

There was little point in trying to look round Montpellier in freezing drizzle with nobody around and nowhere to go indoors.   So we drove to our Airbnb, which was nice enough, an apartment in a modern villa about 15 km out of town, & we hoped the weather would improve next day...


Oh, dear.  It seemed that in the whole of Europe, only Spain had worse weather than us.  Still, it had stopped raining even though the gale force winds were still arctic, not that the flamingoes feeding in the salt marshes in the coastal area Mageleone seemed too bothered.   It was all a bit like November on the Essex coast, where the winds rush over the ocean from Russia.  Quite nice, really, if you imagined it as that, and there were also white peacocks, which I don't think you get on the Essex coast.  


 But I was feeling tired - a legacy I think of my Covid infection, which had cleared up but still returns now and then for a few hours.  I wasn't in the mood for Maguelone's big attraction,  a gigantic medieval abbey, built on a spit of land in the sea.  It is a place of high dark ceilings, long flights of ancient stone steps, and intense spirituality. Although it's partly restored, and does at least have electric light, its atmosphere is still very austere.  The Friends of the Cathederal were operating a cafe nearby, and it was packed, but they seemed to rather enjoy telling us we were too late when we turned up desperate. 

I'm glad to say that I felt better the next day and the weather reverted to its usual sunny self. It stayed bright (though not that warm) for the rest of our trip.  On our first day, we took a six or seven mile walk to a neighbouring village, Murviel-lès-Montpellier, which has Roman ruins, a friendly village shop, nice woodland, several quaint old corners and interesting old buildings ....


and a few curious characters.  


 It was a good way of getting a feel for the area at this particular time of year, and even though we got lost in the woods on the way back, it was still a good day.    Next day we visited what turned out to be one of my favourite places on the trip.   Sète is one of the Occitanie region's main ports. It has a small network of canals, lots of interesting boats, fishermen ancient.... 

 

and modern....


It is a relaxed, laid back place, where you feel people come to enjoy themselves. The weather was not yet right for being on the beach, but there is a great sweep of blue flag beach which is a big attraction in the season. We were happy just exploring.  The highlight might have been a delicious lunch in the nice little restaurant you can see in the picture below: LA MAISON VERTE - belly of pork casserole for me and asparagus for T.   It was a good meal but the main thing for me was simply sitting out in the sun in a tranquil French square, with a magnificent sculpture of an octopus to look at. 

 I don't think I've ever seen a sculptured octopus before. It was part of a large fountain,  with two water-spouting dolphins, a clear reference to Sète's fishing industry.


T and I spent a long time taking pictures of this octopus. The sculptor, Pierre Nocca, did a fine job  considering octopi are so wriggly, aquatic and boneless, and it is genuinely imposing. Which makes it seem sad that one of the local delicacies is octopus pie.    The pies look nice, but I didn't try eating one.   Octopuses are very intelligent and I am told that if you get to know them you find they are real characters, as much as a cat or dog would be. Still, I was fighting a lonely battle in Sète about this.

 the town also had one of the nicest icecream shops I have seen. Wouldn't anyone like to have one of these? 


There were also adverts around for a local biscuit made in the shape of one of the shields used by competitors in the remarkable sport of water jousting, popular in the region.


I didn't see it as the big tournament is on 25 August, but I found this on Youtube.   It looks a bit slow and a bit rough but I'd love to see those beautiful boats shooting along the canals in real life. 


  Sète was in striking contrast with Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert, which we visited on another day.  This ancient place is in the gorges of Hérault, away from the flat coastal region, and in an area of big craggy wooded hills and cliffs.    Its name means "St Guilhem the Deserted" and its huge abbey, a site of pilgrimage, was established there in the Middle Ages because it was so remote and inaccessible.  

It's no longer deserted, and in fact I think it could become uncomfortably crowded in the height of the tourist season, but it was quite delightful when we went.  Below is a picture taken in the main square, showing part of the abbey on the right hand side. 
 


If you look very closely indeed at the top of the tallest crag in the picture, you may spot ruins - the locals have named them the "Giants Castle"  and created a fanciful legend about them, but in reality they are very old fortifications overlooking the whole area. We walked up one of the narrow, stony donkey paths in the hills and got a fine view of the village (below).  You can see more of the Giant's Castle on the left, but you're warned not to climb up to it because it is now unstable.


 On another day we went southeast of Montpellier to Agues-Mortes, where the Camargue region begins. The Camargue has miles of salt marsh designated as a Ramsar Wetland Site and we would have liked to explore it more.  We had glimpsed some of its characteristic salt marsh and flamingoes at Maguelone, but it and Aigues-Mortes are too near Montpellier and are too built up to offer glimpses of the wild horses or bull ranches for which the area is also famous.  We only caught a few glimpses down forgotten side roads of a different and older landscape of reeds and water, which I found very attractive.  Here's a spot outside a farm near Aigues-Mortes. 


So, Aigues-Mortes (thought to mean "Dead Water" in the Latin of the Romans who lived there first) is a  well-and-truly fortified town.  


It has four gates, which are open to motor traffic since people actually live inside - because it is a proper town in there, or at least a large village.  And the local people need their cars and shops and church.   The visitors, of course, have to walk.


And here's a map of the place - it is a decent size but you can see how contained it is.  It must seem very strange to be there if they ever put the portcullises down. 


I liked this lighthouse, which was added onto one of the enormous towers a few centuries ago and must have offered a welcome but dim and flickering light in a storm. 


And then, we found we had run out of days.    I wished we'd stayed longer and explored more. I really do think Covid has narrowed my horizons more than I realised.  I had, in some strange way, almost forgotten that you could get on the train and go somewhere else, and I'd booked our tickets back to London far too soon for my taste.

Now I'm keen to look at the idea of another train trip to France, perhaps in autumn, and perhaps even getting as far as Italy or Spain.  It still blows my mind to think I can cycle to the train station in London, catch a train, step out into the middle of Paris a few hours later and be all ready to catch a train to the centre of Biarritz or Barcelona.   

Vive l'Eurostar!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking me along with you on your trip, Jenny...very interesting, indeed. I look forward to joining you again on your next adventure!

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! What a fabulous trip, getting out and about finally after what seems decades of covid! All of this post is blowing my mind completely. How lucky to be able to travel! I will just stay here for a while and re-read your post over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it was best, for a first trip after a couple of years, that it was a bit shorter. Except for the rainy Monday, you packed in a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so pleased for you, not only that travelling is possible again, but also that you are well enough again to do it!
    Like you, I found Paris rather underwhelming when I went there for a few days back in 2010 or 11. I have not been back since but will pass through this summer on my way to Yorkshire - we will go by train. Stuttgart to Paris is only about 3 hours on the TGV.

    In spite of catching some uncharacteristic bad weather in Montpellier, you made the most of it and rested. The pictures with the white peacock and the reeds and water are my favourites here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lovely trip!! Thankyou for taking us.
    Love the station renovation, that is impressive and we'll worth them doing it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose that there is a rhythm to everything, including traveling, and it is so easy to lose that rhythm when you go long periods without practice. You'll get it back! Meanwhile- that looks like a most beautiful journey. I'm so glad you could go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Covid is still causing you troubles sometimes but so glad you were able to travel again AND did better than you expected! It's a good thing you were a bit cautious, though. That was probably very wise. You discovered you want to do more and for longer and that is a wonderful discovery.

    Lovely to be taken with you, as always. I have never heard of that jousting in canal boats. How strange and fun to watch. So many things to see and experience. I hope you are able to make more trips soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and adventurous trip. The walled town is a sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your trip. I like to see those photos one by one.
    I hope you can trip to France in autumn by Eurostar. How exciting!

    wonderful day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you managed to get away.
    This was an interesting tour, and good photos to go along with it as always.
    I look forward to the sunshine from Spain or Italy next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jenny, what fun to see your post, and after all the dull times to see a bit of the South of France. Agues-Mortes looks so fascinating, and I would love to see it. The octopus sculpture is a bit mad, but fun, and suits the town. The Cezanne light-and-sound experience would be fun to experience. We saw Van Gogh and Hukasai when we were in the vicinity of Arles (I think) and it was projected in a big cave system. That was late 2019 and we have been almost nowhere since then, apart from a small trip to Sydney a year ago. What a different and difficult time we have had, and I'm glad you were able to hop on a train and enjoy yourself. Flights from Australia for international tourism and just beginning to start again. Maybe we will fly off again in the next year or so. I am sorry Covid is still bothering you, it is a wretched thing. Keep well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, it was nice to be taken on a trip even if vicariously, Jenny. While we have taken local trips in and around New England and a couple of longer out-or state trips, it has been so long since we have traveled by any form of public transportation. I would enjoy a long train ride vs. a flight. Thanks for sharing your adventures and while the rainy days and closed shops were disappointments, you managed to do a lot and now have a great reason for a return visit in better weather (and not on a Monday).

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a shame that your intended London post was lost, but I enjoyed reading about your trip to France and seeing the photos. The Gare de Lyon murals are beautiful - and the video of the Cezanne programme is really spectacular.
    There is no way that I would ever try octopus pie - - but that ice cream looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenny, I haven't traveled in such a long time, so I read your story with great interest. I am glad that you were able to spend a few days in the south of France, relax and see the many sights. I saw the TV series Candice Renoir, which was filmed in Sète, this city is amazing.
    I look forward to warm and peaceful days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A white peacock? I did not know there were such birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful trip, Jenny. I'm glad the weather cheered up for you. Montpellier is at the centre of such a magical region. I'm not surprised you wish you had stayed. I'd love to visit the Camargue as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Jenny, this is wonderful. Thank you for the video of the Atelier and I'm just loving all the photos and your commentary. It looks like beautiful territory and very interesting as well. I'm sorry some of the weather wasn't great, but at least it got sunny a bit later and good for the exploring. (I'm with you on the octopus, though!) I miss travel and still don't feel comfortable with it. And yes, it blows my mind, too that you can pedal to the train and a few hours later, a different country!

    I hope you find your London post or can re-create. I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a marvellous little trip away! The Atelier des Lumières looks fabulous! There's nothing like a bit of immersive harpsichord to make one's heart sing :) Your exterior photo of Aigues-Morte almost looks like it's a movie set - such a curiously anachronistic place to live. Hence, the joy of travel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for that very interesting tour. Glad to know Paris has cleaned up its act a bit. It sounds like a lot of traffic has been banned from the city centre. The octopus sculpture is wonderful. A shame octopus is also the local delicacy. Aigues-Mortes is certainly well-fortified. I wonder how the fortifications came about?

    Like you, I feel covid has narrowed my horizons a bit. I'm definitely a bit nervous about taking holidays at the moment, although before covid I'd been to New Zealand and Canada without a qualm!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive