Friday 4 March 2022

My Little Life....


Please forgive me if I mainly write about my own little life in this blog - and I'll enjoy reading about yours, too. 

But before I tell you about my doings, I have to say how devastated I am about Ukraine. Here's the sunflower - we all know what it means to have it at the top of a post. I am contributing to help Ukrainians flee from the catastrophe, and to look after the ones that manage to make their way to safety.  I'm also doing my civic duty to pile political pressure on our government.   I am ashamed that Britain's ruling Conservative party, government ministers and even the PM, have been shown to have taken literally million of pounds worth of perks, gifts and "donations" by billionaires close to Putin, and I do think we need to know what they've given in return.   I am also thinking about the ordinary Russians, many of whom are having their lives turned upside down or ruined by this nightmare situation. 

So I've said that, because I need to, and because it needs to be said. But now I will try to stay off the subject if I can.  It is hard, but I know there is no point in worrying and fretting. We are just ordinary people and can only do what we can do.  

Since all Covid restrictions were removed here, people have started to travel again. And I do like that feeling of normality.   I've been delighted to receive gifts from returning travellers too.  This is Persian pistachio nougat, which comes from the city of Isfahan.  I've had it before and it's not sweet and sticky, but delicate and nutty. 


And here are saffron filaments in a beautiful box, also from Persia.  I'm planning to make a saffron cake for Easter. 


This is a rather trendy ginger beer concentrate from Belgium.  It's promoted as an alternative to alcoholic drinks, and since I love ginger, I'm looking forward to trying it. 


And these chocolates, also from Brussels, are beautiful.  I (almost) feel I'd be happy not to ruin the display by eating one, and just admire them for a while.   


AND (talking of travel) we've booked a short holiday abroad.   These days, I don't anticipate too much, because we've all found how things can change. But, all being well, we'll soon be heading to a village near Montpellier, in southwest France.   It's on the edge of the national park of the Haut-Languedoc, and not too far from the sea.  We're booked in an Airbnb whose main feature seems to be a very friendly dog  (the owner has included several pictures of this dog in his listing).

The twins missed their birthday party in February for a second year running, because their dad had Covid, but they feel they had a great birthday because 1. they both got watches, so they happily spent hours timing each other doing things, and 2. They had an early morning doughnut each in the old fashioned patisserie on the way to school. They're never allowed doughnuts and so this was a massive treat.  and 3. At school, they got cake and were applauded in class. And, 4. After school they went to the Community Centre playscheme and everyone gave them cake and cheered them there, too.  

This Community Centre is hugely popular.  The staff pick up children from the local primary schools and look after them till six.   All the ages mix together and are kept very busy with arts, crafts, games, music and projects, with a bit of TV to wind down.   The centre also gets donations from all the nearby fancy bakeries at the end of the day, so there are heaps of bread and cakes - what doesn't get eaten is available for parents and carers to take away. I am not kidding, i've never seen a kid there who wants to go home.     


Last weekend we had the twins to sleep over a couple of nights. It was tiring but fun.  
Both twins are in their primary school's football teams (one for boys, one for girls), so during the weekend, we spent quite a while outdoors while they kicked balls around.   


They also went to a schoolfriend's birthday party at a place called "Go Ape."   It's a sort of daredevil outdoor activity centre involving zipwires high up in the trees. Boy Twin, who swarms up trees as easily as an ape at the best of times, absolutely loved it.   Girl Twin was the opposite: "My hands were slipping, I couldn't hold on, I thought I was goanna die'"'  she reported.   She hadn't actually noticed that she'd been clipped into a harness, she'd been so scared.   But she doesn't show her fear readily, and just said she only wanted to be three metres up, and not thirty metres (like Boy Twin was aiming for). 

T and I have also been on a couple of outings, whenever we've been able to get decent weather. Last week we cycled down to the South Bank to see the exhibition of the Worshipful Company of Broderers.  It's one of the City Guilds, (also known as the Brotherhood of the Holy Ghost of the City of London) (great name I think).  It originated centuries ago as a union of embroiderers, a highly skilled trade which was, of course, much in demand in the heyday of hand-embroidered clothing for the wealthy, 


I am sure the Broiderers had a hand in the gold trim of this fellow's fine outfit, for instance, but, then as now, they did all kinds of work, ranging from delicate flower designs almost too fine to believe, to bold, intricate braiding. 

There was some remarkable work at the show, in all kinds of different styles. I think my favourite piece was the one below of night-time London from above.  The only bit of flying I like is if I approach a city by plane after dark, and we hover above while the lights spread below.   The bright twinkling of this piece against the black velvet reminded me of that.


Talking of flying, we're going to try and cut down on plane travel.  I've noticed several people are doing this now, if they can - but it's a big "IF" because it is still so much cheaper to fly.   Since Covid, European train companies have made it easier to change and cancel tickets, and I think prices have gone down a bit too.  But they are nothing like comparable to flights.  However flights to Montpellier were at extremely inconvenient hours, so it was worth factoring in the cost of train travel to avoid the misery of hanging around airports at 3 AM.  The ride city to city in 7 hours, but we decided to spend the first night in Paris. It's silly to just rush through Paris when you haven't seen it for ages. We'll catch a morning train the next day.    

Our other outing was one of our daughter V's gigs, held by candlelight in a fascinating half ruined almshouse chapel in Peckham, SE London.   It really was fun.  One of our neighbours heard about it too and turned up with his little girl, who is a friend of the twins.  Here they are playing with their umbrellas as the rain hammered down after the show. It was only about 6 PM but  they were thrilled to be out and about after dark.  I remember how big-time it seemed to me when I was a child, too.  Even to the grown ups calling back to stop fooling and keep up!


Not sure if you want an update on the bathroom.  Ah.    Since I last wrote, nearly a month ago, there's been no progress on getting it working, other than what T has done on preparation and painting, and, I'm afraid, fixing some messes. The original contractor has now left the job and we're feeling a lot more relaxed.   We think and hope it will be possible to get someone more suitable. 

 

25 comments:

  1. Getting out and about is wonderful. Happy Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hoping bj will be brought down, but not yet, I guess. For a Russian ally, he's well named.

    Good to hear some fun plans, too. I hope your trip works out and we see pictures. You have to, now you went and told us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing to forgive, Jenny, in writing about your own life on your own blog. ALl of us are free to post about whatever strikes us be it family, adventures, world events and many do, so it's all good. I enjoyed reading your updates and the upcoming trip wounds wonderful. We just returned from an extended road trip and are already planning the next one in mid-March. Rather than any public transport, ours will be all done by auto and within the U.S. Hopefully, we will take a plane trip in the not to distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russia's invasion of Ukraine is totally outrageous, but there's no point in banging on about it. And as you say, there's no point in worrying and fretting.

    I hope your French holiday works out. We haven't yet taken the plunge to book a foreign holiday, what with the travel restrictions constantly changing. When I was young, I was also thrilled to be out and about after dark. It felt very grown-up! I love all the fancy decoration around the portrait of the chap in the fancy outfit. The picture of night-time London looks a bit like an aboriginal painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ukraine will run for some time yet, no obvious answer to this one.
    The twins appear to have been having a great time! Good for them.
    Good to see you are out and about - in the rain.
    Sorry about the workmen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure remember the thrill of being out after dark as a child, quite a rare treat. As is the Isfahani gaz, which I've had the pleasure of trying, and I have that exact same tin of saffron in my kitchen. Luxury.

    I've had a good poke around your link to the embroidery exhibition, thank you for including it - how utterly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a grand birthday the twins had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your French visit works out well and there is nothing small about your life, no need for apology. What Putin has done is terrible. Thank you for posting. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Currently our world is swamped by bad news; our world is drowning in sorrow. When will all of this mayhem, devastation, destruction and heartache cease? A while back a friend told me to "get with the times". Why would I want to??????

    Sanity and order no longer prevail in our world. My question is...have they ever?

    You need no forgiveness, Jenny...I love and enjoy reading your blog...I always have...and I always will.

    Take good care...and thank you for making this world a brighter place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful to hear you are planning some travel and i do enjoy hearing about your family and all that's going on.

    Prayer for Ukraine and i agree, pressure on politicians to do more to put a stop to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in Germany, Covid restrictions are still in place, but there is some very cautious losening; we are still high-riding the Omicran wave, and vaccination numbers are still not where they need to be according to the virologists.
    Like you, my sister and I are going to travel by train instead of by plane this year. Our trip to Yorkshire - the first since 2019 - always takes a full day anyway, and it won't make much difference in terms of time if we go by TGV from Stuttgart to Paris, then by Eurostar from Paris to London and finally from London to Harrogate by a British train, whichever it will be. Yes, it will be more expensive than a plane, but we will get to see much, much more of England, something we are both looking forward to. Also, we will avoid the general hassle of air travel; endless waiting around at airports, going through one control after the other, and literally being tied to our seats.

    All your outings sound good, and I like your gifts! I have come across that ginger stuff, too; O.K. and I both love ginger and I think he bought it a couple of years ago to try it with well-chilled water. Love the tin (or box) the saffron files are in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For other readers who may be going through hell...reading about your life can bring a little sanity into their lives

    ReplyDelete
  13. You bring so many windows into different lives and places here. It is always a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have shown photos on your blog from all over the world to us and somehow that last photo of the girls playing with the umbrellas is one that I will long remember!
    I love reading everything you tell us on your blog and all your photos. God bless you, Jenny Woolf! Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is always filled with fascinating information and amazing things - but I also find it interesting to read about events from your personal life. It's wonderful that you can begin traveling again. Our lives have been suppressed for far too long.

    The gifts that you received are really nice. That ginger beer concentrate sounds intriguing - and those colorful chocolates from Brussels look like Easter eggs.

    The situation in Ukraine is really depressing. I feel so sorry for all those people who were forced from their homes and whose lives are in danger and chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Jenny – I think I know how you felt posting about your life in the midst of this ugly, shameful invasion of Ukraine. The difference between the affected and non-affected is enormous but you don’t have to be forgiven at all! My mother often told me to enjoy pleasures while they last because life is uncertain. The worries for COVID were blown away in me, but I’m still on guard. School classes continue non-stop with a few students tested positive. The community center looks working nice with various activities and children's mingling with those of different ages. To me, planning a trip was as enjoyable as trip itself or maybe more. Enjoy your trip to France.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much happening! Loved the post. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I am ashamed that Britain's ruling Conservative party, government ministers and even the PM, have been shown to have taken literally million of pounds worth of perks, gifts and "donations" by billionaires close to Putin"

    I wonder if one of those billionaires was Donald Trump.

    Though I'm not afraid of it, I, too, enjoy flying most when the airplane is just over the city, and at night looks especially beautiful. London, at least as it's represented on that embroidery, looks beautiful at night.

    Ah, yes, being outside after dark when you were a child. especially during summer.

    Happy birthday to your twins.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like you've been busy. I do love your gifts especially the rainbow coloured chocolates, and that night time shot of London from above is amazing. Love it.

    We are going to the South of France on a boating holiday with the family in June. Apparently we will all have small fold up bikes to use when we get off the boat, so I think I need to get a little fitter before we go!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's nice that the Covid restrictions and cases are lifting and we will be able to travel again.
    Its sad to hear about your Government having taken gift from Putin supporters. A awful war in this year 2022.
    Hoping it will all end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The more people who speak out, the happier I am. I was shocked to learn that the UK is dragging its feet WRT accepting Ukrainian refugees. I understand that many countries are doing much better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely post, Jenny. The Ukraine situation is appalling and I pray, like everyone else, that it will be over soon and all the poor, displaced people can go home to their loved ones. A good thing about the refugees is that they're being welcomed here and everywhere in Europe; a sad thing is that we still have thousands of Syrian refugees in camps here who remain unwelcome. They are noticing the difference in reception as well (my daughter teaches them), which hurts them immensely.

    I loved the rest of your blog and really enjoyed hearing about your 'little life'. It's always so interesting. I am due to travel to England at the end of the month, but sadly, my time is so short and I have to be in Bedford, not London, so the train (which I'd love to take) is no option. By the time I've travelled to Amsterdam or Brussels and then taken the train, I would then have to take another train in England, so it would take me hours to get to my sister's and then hours to return. I wish it were otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sad about Ukraine, what a terrible war this is. It's nice to read your post and good that some things are almost normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your outings and your travel plans sound good.
    I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

    I think a couple of our grandchildren have been to a 'Go Ape' or something similar, so many good things to choose from these days.

    Keep enjoying these March days, and the settled weather we seem to be having at the moment.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jenny, you have good friends and their gifts make you happy. Wonderful! The twins are growing fast, and I see that they love everything for their birthday that is forbidden in everyday life. You are lucky to have the opportunity to travel and I don't just guess when other countries open their doors to us.
    Thank you for thinking about "ordinary Russians, many of whose lives have been turned upside down."

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive