Sunday 22 November 2015

Toy Story, Cake and More.


I know it's winter when the setting sun reflects of the windows of these particular houses in that particular way.  It just doesn't happen in the summer.

The last three days neither of us have got out much because both T and I have had different things wrong - me a mysterious pain and swelling of my foot arch, and him with nerve pain from a tooth. I think they're improving now but in the light of what's been happening in Paris and elsewhere in the world we are not in the mood for complaining about them.

While feeling rather confined to home, we've been cleaning and clearing.   I thoroughly washed the head of this stuffed bird which Littlest A loves sucking the head of. It's just the right size to fit in his mouth. Here it is after washing.



T. has been clearing out his office so lots of eBaying, chucking out and donating to charity shops. Today after we'd dumped our bags of treasures in the British Heart Foundation I spotted a Thomas the Tank Engine toy which I thought Littlest A might like.


He's very keen on his board book of Thomas, even though he doesn't understand a word of it, so I got the engine - it was only £1.

But even with new batteries it didn't work. It just sat there doing nothing, so T decided to take it to bits, because he had spotted something interesting about it.... can you see it, below?


I would never have noticed it, but T didn't work all those years in the BBC without being able to recognise a microphone.  It's the round hole at the bottom.

Once he'd dismantled the train, he discovered that the microphone activates Thomas when you whistle nearby. Very ingenious. T put it together again, and it worked perfectly.  It probably once had a Fat Controller's Whistle but that's long gone... but.....

Littlest A's other favourite thing is this recorder


And it works perfectly at controlling Thomas!

So now the toys are waiting for Littlest A's next visit.


We went to our next door neighbour's house, to attend her daughter's one-girl craft sale. The WHOLE living room was full of stuff Amelia has made.   I know she is clever with her hands but she must have done nothing else except knit and sew for months.  It's all in aid of raising money to volunteer at the charity Elephant-Human Relations Aid in Namibia. I had never heard of it but apparently a lot of people from her school have gone and she says it does great work persuading subsistence farmers not to kill elephants -  which of course are encroaching on their land.


So I bought a couple of Christmas tree decorations which will now remind me of elephants (and Amelia). I discovered that among the other neighbours who had visited her craft sale that day, Littlest A had also turned up with his mother and had taken a great liking to one the stuffed animals. Apparently they put a lead on it and let him drag it around.  (I didn't dare ask if he had sucked its head.)

Before the tooth/foot pain got too bad we went to Hungerford, Berkshire to pick up our "new" (or, rather, new-to-us) car from the dealers we have used for years. They've gone to a lot of trouble to find this car for us, exactly the same as the old car except several years newer, and very low mileage.  In a rare burst of sun I was impressed by the way the raindrops on it were all lit up almost as parts of it were studded with Swarovski diamonds.


It was really nice seeing Hungerford again. My late parents lived there for many years.  We always go to look at the weird and wonderful antiques and curiosities in the Hungerford Arcade on the High Street. We know from experience that the Rafters Cafe there does very good smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast for a very reasonable price.


The cafe really is in the rafters, as you can see from the photo below. The Arcade is all one building now, but it used to be a kind of medieval market, and courtyards and other spaces were roofed in over the centuries.  The layout of the cafe is a bit odd, being built around a hefty old staircase clearly hewn from tree trunks some centuries ago. It also has great big beams running across the floor, which they do mark very clearly, but, well, shall we say they are "interesting" to navigate when going to order at the counter?


There are many other good antique businesses in Hungerford, but we like The Arcade best partly  because of its cafe, partly because of its junkshop section (selling curiosities that often need a bit of work) and perhaps mainly because of its books. There are so many treasures here at low prices -  if you can face sorting through them. Here is just one corner. And if you are reasonably tall, and haven't tripped over the beams on the floor in the Rafters, you can get hit on the head by the beams on the ceiling here. 


Went to see my mum and dad's old house and it's had a big porch built on it and an extension. I was so sad to think that they were no longer there, but I was also glad to see their house taking on a new lease of life. 

Finally, Nadezda, whose amazing Russian garden I always admire, has asked for the recipe for the carrot cake I mentioned in my last blog post.  It is adapted from one in the original Crank's Cook Book. I made a few small adaptations. The main change is that I used soft dark brown sugar for the icing, which gave the icing a caramel taste.


CAKE
Carrots, 175g 
Eggs 2
Vegetable oil 75ml 
Brown Sugar 100g
Wholemeal self raising flour 100g (I used half white and half brown plain flour, adding a teaspoon (5 ml) of baking powder instead)
Ground cinnamon 1 tsp (5 ml)
Ground nutmeg 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml)
Desiccated coconut 50g
rind of one orange, grated
Raisins 50g
Shelled chopped walnuts 50g.

Grease and line a 18 cm (7 inch) cake tin. Finely grate the carrots. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy. Whisk the oil in slowly, then add the remaining ingredients and mix together to combine evenly. Spoon the mixture in the prepared tin. Level the surface and bake in the oven at 190 C (375 F, Gas Mark 5) for 20-25 minutes till firm to the touch and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray and spread with icing (frosting) when cold. 

ICING
Butter or margarine, 40g
Pale brown sugar 75g (I used dark)
Grated rind of 1/2 orange if liked
Shelled walnuts to decorate

As cakes go it is a "healthy" one and like so many recipes in that old cook book, it is really good and always seems popular with visitors. 

62 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I love the repair of the Thomas. What a rewarding thing to have done! And the cake sounds very much like the carrot cake I make. Do you put a cream cheese frosting on it? That's what we do here.
    Bless you for washing the bird. The things we do for grandchildren...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I just saw the frosting recipe. Never mind on my question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but yes, usually I do use cream cheese frosting. Not in this particular recipe though, which is a healthy food one from Cranks, which used to do the best wholefood food ever. It closed down years ago, not quite sure why.

      Delete
    2. but yes, usually I do use cream cheese frosting. Not in this particular recipe though, which is a healthy food one from Cranks, which used to do the best wholefood food ever. It closed down years ago, not quite sure why.

      Delete
  3. What an absolutely charming post, from the sucked on toy, to the book store where I would spend toooooo much and the carrot cake.
    Thank you.
    And I love the idea of protecting the elephants too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful post, Jenny - and a red bird too! Littlest A sounds very cute, and the new Thomas-who-moves-to-music will amaze him. You will have to let us know how it all goes :) One of my favourite memories of visiting the UK is those old wooden beams - always found in the most interesting places. The cafe in the Rafters looks so appealing - rather like the Olde Pub in my daughter's village (when she lived in Essex) and where I bumped my head a few times. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like old places with rafters too but think I'm somewhat ambivalent about having them on the floor! :) Still, I haven't tripped over them in The Rafters Cafe, (yet)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I like old places with rafters too but think I'm somewhat ambivalent about having them on the floor! :) Still, I haven't tripped over them in The Rafters Cafe, (yet)

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you two are hurting. As for self-raising flour, I never use it because it is vile, often stale and adds salt that I don't want added. So, I'm with you, I add my own leavening agents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hidden salt is a danger in so many things. I now look at the "traffic light" symbols on ready meals and processed products and am horrified at how often the salt is "red"now. Even though the things are so darn handy ...

      Delete
    2. Hidden salt is a danger in so many things. I now look at the "traffic light" symbols on ready meals and processed products and am horrified at how often the salt is "red"now. Even though the things are so darn handy ...

      Delete
    3. As a food writer, it's more than salt for me. It's the fact that self-rising flour is often stale and of no use to me. It's vile. Besides that, I make my own baking powder combo.

      Wishing you a Happy Christmas and an Oogie Boogie, New Year.

      Cheers :-)

      Delete
  6. The first photo is wonderful.
    Amelia crafts are beautiful I hope she sells them all.
    Love the raindrops on your car it made it so special
    when you picked it up, like a wrapped gift.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers you and T are feeling better.
    The toys are cute, and the ornaments are adorable. They look very well made.
    Happy New Car!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your foot pain, but am glad to hear it's getting better. So you de-cluttered and then bought new things! Ha, isn't that always the way? I'm an ebay seller too, and what doesn't sell goes to charity.

    I love scrambled egg and smoked salmon on a bagel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I always try to have more going out than coming in but sometimes it just doesn't work!

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear you've both been unwell, but good to know you were feeling well enough to do the sorting and clearing that can be not only a lot of fun (it is for me when I get the chance to do it!) but also feels really good afterwards.
    It is good of you and your neighbour to support the Namibian elephants charity. So many charities have dropped out of people's views since September, when the whole refugees crisis gained an unprecedented size and all efforts were/are directed there. I've read about a lot of charity workers getting really worried about the continuing existence of their charity - mainly when it comes to those involving animals or the homeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there seems to be so much in the world now to feel concerned about, I can see how smaller charities can begin to feel left out. I saw something the other day about our government trying to sneak lottery funding for things it shouldn't be used for (i.e. replacing government funding) and thereby taking it away from charities, which will be more of a blow. I've started to favour small charities at present who are engaged in doing things that governments do not do.

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry to hear about the foot and tooth pain and hope you're both feeling better.

    Elephants are my favorite animals (besides my dogs, of course!), so I thank you for supporting them by buying some cute ornaments.

    Your cake recipe sounds really good. I haven't had carrot cake in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your recipe, thank you Jenny! I copied it in my LibreOffice.
    And these toys are pretty, I'd love to play with Thomas if I were a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've given us a lot of treasures to ponder. I especially like the first photo, which reminds me of a Grimshaw panting. I also like the handmade Christmas decorations. The recorder suddenly reminded me that I used to have a recorder long ago. I would have never thought of it.

    Since I like to cook and bake, I appreciate your carrot cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to do some de-cluttering...I tell myself that every night...but as I'm the president of the local Procrastinators' Club, I've yet to do anything about it. Maybe tomorrow....nope...perhaps next week, or when the heat subsides...one day.

    I'd enjoy a slice or two of that delicious cake right now. As for the scrambled eggs they look tempting, too!

    It's hard to get past the hollowness that remains after what happened in Paris, Mali and elsewhere....our world is in such a mess at present. There are no signs of an easy solution. No easy fix to the ongoing senseless murders caused by evil barbarians who have nothing better to do other than destroy. I wonder what really goes on in their mind...do they ever laugh and have fun, I wonder.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry I missed you in Hungerford - A place of many treasures! As are those toys you rescued for your twins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How very clever of T to make the engine work again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had forgotten all about Cranks - whatever happened to them? They were at the vanguard of the new vegetarian/healthy food brigade in the early 1980s.
    The first photos is amazing - it looks as if the Great Fire of London is underway again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All those books and so far away!
    Sad and strange to return to old homes, it still feels like it belongs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm impressed by the toy story! For some inexplicable reason, I've never visited Hungerford. I believe I should. And I'll pass on that recipe, in a subtle way, of course, to Mrs B.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How clever your man was to figure out that truck business. Sounds like you have been enjoying some of the small quiet times that we often overlook in our rush to something bigger. Sorry about the foot and tooth pain though. Sounds miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many nice goings on to counter the troubles, and i still hope the troubles vanish soon with a bit of medical help if needed. Places with nooks and corners where you can look at books and curiosities are among my favorite shops.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a clever toy--and clever repairman! I hope all is well with both of you now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Falling apart seems to be catching! I hope that you both feel better soon.
    We have been dejunking. Not a fun job but the house feels so much better when all is done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Hungerford Arcade, we have spent many an hour and many a £ there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sorry that you've both been under the weather....so miserable when your foot gives you problems.

    I'd never visited Hungerford...but jolly well wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That cake sounds yummy. Hope your foot is completely better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmm so that's what they do at the BBC... smiles. The little one will get a lot of pleasure from the engine, especially when he learns how to whistle. I do admire people who work so hard to support charities.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your picture of the reflected sunset on the windows. Very evocative! I don't know Hungerford at all but maybe it will come my way one day. Hope you both feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Arcade certainly has many attractions to recommend it, especially, for me anyway, the smoked salmon and eggs on toast breakfast and all those books!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your post is full of interesting info, so sorry you have been feeling unwell but as you say a good opportunity for a declutter. Trying to do the same myself at the moment!
    I was so interested to hear you knew Tanner's Hatch, Polesden Lacey, what a small world it is!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love that you have things all set for the next little one's visit. Should be greatly appreciated. Cute ornaments. She's very talented.
    Quite an interesting cafe and antique shop. I hope you are both better soon. Very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jenny, what a fun and wonderful post! I hope you live on the beautiful street in the first photo because it is simply lovely! I should like to move there today! And it's fun to hear about the Littles and their toys! You must be having a ball watching them grow up! And the ornaments -- exquisite! Amelia is quite a seamstress. Those are beautifully made, it seems. And finally, Hungerford. Oh, if ever I get to England I should love to visit Hungerford, just for the market and books (and the eggs looked pretty good, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. One of the great delights of this time of the year is the low sun which lights things up in mysterious ways. Isobel and I spend all our time declaring that we must de-clutter but the thought of it is so distressing that it drives us out to the shops to buy more clutter. Hope you are both feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a dramatic first photo - I thought the place was on fire.We lived in a church yard for many years and there are a special few days each winter when the sun comes through two sets of stained glass windows, one on either side of the church. It creates the most beautiful effect - for maybe ten minutes two or three days a year. Provided there is sunshine!.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a crazy coincidence to find out the recorder works for activating Thomas the Tank Engine! I love smoked salmon and scrambled eggs...and to eat that in a place surrounded by old books would be such a treat.

    Hope you are feeling better soon...foot pain and tooth pain are awful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm sorry that you've been under the weather - I hope you're both feeling much better now. I love the way the low winter sunlight hits windows - it's very striking. Those decorations are lovely. I buy one or two decorations every year to remind me of somewhere/someone. The older I get, the more decorating Christmas tree becomes a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am smiling to those toys. Thy are happily waiting for A's visiting.Amelia's crafts are pretty. I hope she can sell them for a charity. Your lovely post makes me think that New year is coming soon. I have to rush to clean my many stuff too!!!
    I hope both of you are feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The engine activated by a nearby whistle (or recorder!) is most ingenious. I've never come across that before.

    It's always fun stumbling on some unadvertised little bookshop in a back street. And the chance of leaving without several enticing volumes is pretty remote!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I also have never heard of a toy bring activated by a whistle. Interesting! I love carrot cake and the addition of coconut sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The top photo is very Atkinson Grimshaw (19th century painter who I'm sure you know of - if you don't you'd love him!)
    Love visiting England with you....

    ReplyDelete
  40. Tooth pain. I can sympathize. For a few months earlier this year I kept getting toothache and I seemed to have to go to the dentist every few weeks to have another molar pulled out.

    My advice to the young is keep flossing!

    ReplyDelete
  41. First of all, I wish you both better. Secondly, what a fun post, despite your current ordeal. As a hoarder, I struggle with organising shelves and chucking out things. I feel jealous of your other half and his willpower. Maybe he could lend me some? :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I sure hope you and T feel better much sooner than later. A toothache is nothing I want to endure, and a sore foot can make one realize just how many steps they do not want to take. Playing with toys always helps,. though. My eyesight has improved, but it still has a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and the photos. Your visit to Hungerford looks charming and I also love the thomas toy engine story and the discovery of the microphone. A soothing read indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hungerford looks just my kind of place! Sadly I 've never had any reason to go there - yet! I hope your respective feet and teeth are feeling better this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love that Thomas the Tank Engine, how clever to move by whistle.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Jenny. Thank you so much for trying to help. At the moment I can enlarge your posts from my end so I can continue to read. What a life, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Dear Jenny - First of all, I hope both your foot and T’s tooth have gotten better. This post was a timely reminder for me to think about year-end cleaning or preparation for Christmas and New Year. You have a good eye for the beauty of evening sun reflected on the illuminated windowpane. I smiled to imagine how A’d be pleased with the Thomas the Tank Engine and the lovely recorder. My Y really loves Thomas-related toys including PraRail (by Tomica), cube puzzle, DVDs, and so on. BTW, my latest post is about Yoshiki-en Garden. Please have a visit.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yoko. I'm surprised I didn't reply to this message before, but I was going to say that I have not heard of PraRail. I think it might be what we used to call "Tomy"

      Delete
  48. What a lovely post. So many different elements. I love the toy train. How neat is that? And the raindrops on the car, and yes...visits to places that hold memories are always special aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  49. I LOVE the pink sunset sky, the Swarovski raindrops, and the handmade ornaments. The historical building with all the dangerous beams reminds me of an ancient inn my parents and I once stayed in when travelling through England. It was like an obstacle course. You had to remember when to watch your head and when to watch your feet, and it wasn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once stayed in a place with a great big beam across the room at just about chest height. Interesting !!!!!

      Delete

Blog Archive