Tuesday 22 September 2009

Mussoorie, India

I've been so bound up with work on my book about Lewis Carroll (which is nothing to do with travel writing - but check it out for my trip to Oxford - that it's been a while since I've had a really interesting travel idea.

Now, I've thought about going to Mussoorie, India. I was brought up on tales about this place, about an era which has now vanished from living memory, and I'd like to see it for myself. I'm told it is now full of modern buildings, and I suppose the places I heard about have all changed, are either just patches of bare earth or internet cafes. Although Woodstock School, which my relatives attended, is still there, and flourishing.

It could never be as romantic as I imagine it, because at present it is a dream world that never existed outside my mind, peopled by my beloved and long lost relatives. I don't want to approach it with the feeling that it will be a disappointment, though.

The answer is to find an angle, a way of viewing Mussoorie which is unusual, interesting, and still has links with the dream which has been lingering on the edges of my mind, for the whole of my life

2 comments:

  1. You could try and find out more about them when you're there. Like that programme on telly where people trace their ancestors. You might find out all sorts of things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice to see this post. I was looking for spefic travel domain information and this is really good.
    India tourism is growing fast. due to commonwealth games it going to increase a lot.

    http://TechZed.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive